Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should i update iphone 3gs to ios5 ???

Options
  • 26-08-2012 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi,
    I just got a iPhone 3gs today :) and was wondering should i update it to ios5 ?Its currently ios 4.2
    Iv heard of people having problems with it and the battery usege?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Jailbreak it, save shsh blobs and then update, then if your having any issues you can downgrade it

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭shaneb92

I dont want to jailbreak it....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

Jailbreak it, save shsh blobs and then update, then if your having any issues you can downgrade it
    shsh blobs can only be saved if apple are still signing the applicabale firmware

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I wouldn't myself. I'm leaving mine at 4.3.3 anyway. I've heard mixed reports, some people saying that 5 is really slow and sluggish and others saying that it's not too bad.

What can you not do on 4.2 that you can do on 5 that makes you want to upgrade it? Jailbreak it at 4.3 and get the most out of your phone.

its mainly because the facebook app needs ios 4.3 to work ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Well then just upgrade to 4.3.3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I upgraded from 3.1.3 to 5 a couple weeks ago. It is a little slower but it doesnt bother me that much. The extras on 5 make up for it and I can downgrade if needs be

IPAM wrote: »
    I upgraded from 3.1.3 to 5 a couple weeks ago. It is a little slower but it doesnt bother me that much. The extras on 5 make up for it and I can downgrade if needs be

How does it affect battery life? and how do you downgrade?

I use Facebook alot, surf boards and the Internet alot, also maybe an hour or 2 of music a Day along with normal calls and texts, it normally lasts the day. I charge my phone every night so battery is never really an issue. I jail broke and unlocked via a program called Snowbreeze, it allows downgrade as well as upgrade

IPAM wrote: »
    I use Facebook alot, surf boards and the Internet alot, also maybe an hour or 2 of music a Day along with normal calls and texts, it normally lasts the day. I charge my phone every night so battery is never really an issue. I jail broke and unlocked via a program called Snowbreeze, it allows downgrade as well as upgrade

Thats on a iphone 3gs ya? battery sounds decent enough

• Advertisement

Yep, 2 year old 3GS, obviously battery will depend on the individual but like I said above I use it alot and it's fine

hmm I might update it so

Well then just upgrade to 4.3.3

Itunes wont let me...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

If you update the phone there is no way to downgrade it again

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

I've had my 3GS updated since iOS5 came out. It's a little slower than it was, but nothing too frustrating about it. Battery life wasn't an issue with me, as with my usage am charging the phone every night anyway. Th key issue for iOS5 performance on the 3GS seems to be to keep memory free on the device - I keep 1GB or so free and its fine.. less than 500MB and there will be performance issues.

iOS6 is out soon (prob Sept. 12th) (with greater facebook integration if tht's what is important to you!) and will be available for the 3GS (though without some advancements specific for dual core iOS devices) so if you want to try iOS5 on the official upgrade root, do it sooner rather than later!

If you've just gotten the 3GS and upgrade now, you probably won't notice much of the performance loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

For the love of god don't - I did with mine when it came out and it has been going at a snails pace ever since!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

guil wrote: »
    shsh blobs can only be saved if apple are still signing the applicabale firmware

Ifaith will allow you save them to their server rather than apples. So firmware doesn't need to be still signed

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

I have mine on iOS 6 -don't see what the problem is. Rattles along just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I've a three year old 3Gs running 5.1.1 and for the most part it's fine. There doesn't seem to be the same problems that people had with their iPhone 3G when iOS 4 was released.

There is occasional slow down that wasn't there before (slight unresponsiveness, or jerky animations), but that seems to be more when some specific apps are running (I'm looking at you Facebook App).

Battery life for me is about the same - multiple texts throughout the day, occasional calls, bit of web browsing and a couple of hours of music. I can usually get about a day and a half out of it.

If I play a few games on it, do a lot of web browsing, or lot of GPS or location based activities, etc. I'll have to recharge every night, but in general that seems to be the same with most Smart Phones.

Overall there are no problems, so the updated camera from lock screen, Delta OS Updates and notifications make it worth it for me.

Hope that helps with the decision about upgrading.
    Although with iOS 6 just around the corner, it's a case of stay where you are or go to iOS 5 soon, because iOS 6 will install on 3Gs models also.

Thanks for all the help :D:D
    I might wait untill ios6 is out and see how that runs

• Advertisement

culabula wrote: »
    I have mine on iOS 6 -don't see what the problem is. Rattles along just fine.

ios6? dident think that was out yet?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

shaneb92 wrote: »
    ios6? dident think that was out yet?

Well no, it ain't. But, you know......

culabula wrote: »
    Well no, it ain't. But, you know......

I get you now haha

Just to let ye know I decided to update to ios 5.1.1 because I thought ios6 might be too powerfull and so far im not having any problems with it. The phone isnt any slower, if not a tiny bit faster and I phone the phone on 13 hours now and used the internet and stuff on it for about 2hrs and the battery is only on 58%. Also loving all the new features in ios5.

Thannks for all the help :):)

Advertisement