Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Research study report??

Options
  • 26-08-2012 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey there :D

Am just about to start 6th year on Wednesday, joined here as I thought it might come in handy XD
    Anyway, our history teacher told us to have the first draft of our RSR done over the summer. Long story short I only have an outline plan done, which is more than some of the rest of our class can say. But i've also changed my angle since May, I'm now doing it on the lives of some of the more notable survivors of the Titanic in the years after the sinking.

I know it has to be around 1200-1500 words, but for anyone else who is working on the RSR or has done one, around how many points/paragraphs did you include? I need a hand planning my points of information.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭amymak

breewilson wrote: »
    Hey there :D

Am just about to start 6th year on Wednesday, joined here as I thought it might come in handy XD
    Anyway, our history teacher told us to have the first draft of our RSR done over the summer. Long story short I only have an outline plan done, which is more than some of the rest of our class can say. But i've also changed my angle since May, I'm now doing it on the lives of some of the more notable survivors of the Titanic in the years after the sinking.

I know it has to be around 1200-1500 words, but for anyone else who is working on the RSR or has done one, around how many points/paragraphs did you include? I need a hand planning my points of information.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Well, I took a different approach when doing mine. Keeping in mind that the limit was just over two and a half typed pages, I just began writing mine and kept writing (not continuously obviously) until I'd felt that I'd covered all the main points. I went back then and began cutting in order to get down to the word limit, (which I wouldn't be overly concerned with by the way.)

You can't really say definitively how many points it should have. It's not like a normal essay where you have to get in 8 paragraphs and you don't have time to plan so you just go by numbers. Some paragraphs/points will be longer than others.

I suppose you could go along with the same guideline as there is for normal essays, and say that you need 6 paragraphs excluding the introduction and conclusion. I'm pretty sure that's more or less the number of paragraphs that I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

Hi, I can only offer you one piece of advice- Don't go over the word count. You'll stress about it over the summer and you'll wonder if it affected your final grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 breewilson

Thanks a million! some really helpful advice there, I'm steadily working on it at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

Nicole. wrote: »
    Hi, I can only offer you one piece of advice- Don't go over the word count. You'll stress about it over the summer and you'll wonder if it affected your final grade.

My dad is a history corrector for the Leaving Cert and he says word count doesn't matter as long as it isn't waaay over. The history correctors have been told not to take any notice of the word count for the past 2 years (2011 and 2012- the 2 years my dad was correcting)

Advertisement