Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Arms M4 problems

Options
  • 26-08-2012 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

My nephews CA M4 is causing him endless grief. He's had it a year and most of that time, it has been acting up. He bought in MIA and he's brought it back to them a few times and they replaced the motor and gearbox (on a new gun that has only been skirmished once btw). It's well out of warranty now and MIA don't want to know. I think he should have pushed them for a replacement as it hasn't performed well apart from the first couple of weeks.

I had a look at it last night and it wouldnt fire but there was a burning smell from the gearbox area. We tried several batteries in it but no joy. We left it down for a while and I let him use my M4 and pistol for target shooting. We tried his aeg again and it fired four or five times before it died again:confused:

Anyway, is there somewhere that he can bring it in the Dublin region where they will do a decent repair on it? If its going to cost a lot of money, perhaps he might be better off getting a new aeg? Anyone got personal experience of the CA brand? Is this typical or did he just get a dud?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

My nephews CA M4 is causing him endless grief. He's had it a year and most of that time, it has been acting up. He bought in MIA and he's brought it back to them a few times and they replaced the motor and gearbox (on a new gun that has only been skirmished once btw). It's well out of warranty now and MIA don't want to know. I think he should have pushed them for a replacement as it hasn't performed well apart from the first couple of weeks.

I had a look at it last night and it wouldnt fire but there was a burning smell from the gearbox area. We tried several batteries in it but no joy. We left it down for a while and I let him use my M4 and pistol for target shooting. We tried his aeg again and it fired four or five times before it died again:confused:

Anyway, is there somewhere that he can bring it in the Dublin region where they will do a decent repair on it? If its going to cost a lot of money, perhaps he might be better off getting a new aeg? Anyone got personal experience of the CA brand? Is this typical or did he just get a dud?

No doubt there will be a few posts now about retailer and brand in a bit :)

You can get a dud in any brand in my opinion but some brands are more prone than others, but the general consensus here is that CA are not the best particularly the sportlines. I wouldn't right the aeg off yet, do your best to diagnose the problem here first and depending on how complicated you might be able to sort it yourself for nephew (well that is if you are some way decent with your hands) and go from there then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Cheers. While I am am good at DIY, I'm very new to air soft and so don't want to start ripping his gun apart thinking I can fix it.

He loves air soft and now skirmishes quite a bit but he has to rent a gun each time as his own is so unreliable. I wonder if trying to fix this gun is economically worthwhile or if he would be better off buying another, say a Cyma which appear to be a decent if still reasonably priced aeg judging by what I've read on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Cheers. While I am am good at DIY, I'm very new to air soft and so don't want to start ripping his gun apart thinking I can fix it.

He loves air soft and now skirmishes quite a bit but he has to rent a gun each time as his own is so unreliable. I wonder if trying to fix this gun is economically worthwhile or if he would be better off buying another, say a Cyma which appear to be a decent if still reasonably priced aeg judging by what I've read on here.

Well the reason why I say do it yourself is,

1: It does not cost you a penny.

2: If it is seriously messed up you cant break it any further :).

3: Only way to learn about gearboxes is to strip it yourself and see how it works.

There are some great tutorials on youtube on how to take gearboxes apart. I'm guilty of the saying "buy nice or buy twice" so id invest in a good quality, aeg with a good solid brand name. Generally the more expensive aegs are more reliable in some instances this is not the case but that is my rule of thumb whether people agree with it or not. CYMA are a very good budget aeg I wreckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

Hi Dave,
    I do the repairs for my team on all their AEG's and GBB. If you want to drop it down to me I may be able to have a look, if I can't fix it I can at least tell what's wrong with it and what parts to get, may save you some trouble.

T4RGET wrote: »
    Hi Dave,
    I do the repairs for my team on all their AEG's and GBB. If you want to drop it down to me I may be able to have a look, if I can't fix it I can at least tell what's wrong with it and what parts to get, may save you some trouble.

Cheers Cillian. Appreciate that. I'll see if I can arrange to meet him and collect the gun off him and then arrange to meet up with you for some advice on whether his M4 is economically salvageable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Sounds like the trigger contacts are burnt out to be honest. It's also possible the replacement gearbox was shimmed too tight, by the sounds of it. Give me a PM if you want to get it sorted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

Cheers Cillian. Appreciate that. I'll see if I can arrange to meet him and collect the gun off him and then arrange to meet up with you for some advice on whether his M4 is economically salvageable.

no problem, if you want it fixed reply to lefty there he'll sort it out, I could fix it if i had the parts but I may at least be able to diagnose it :) up to you Dave

PM sent to you both Lads.

David

Advertisement