Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celta or Tefl

Options
  • 26-08-2012 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi, i know there is a lot of information about this but I am finding it hard to find anything that applies to me.

I want to travel central and south America (Peru,Argentina,Mexico mainly). I am not looking to make much money,just enough to live and get by. I don't have a degree. My question is, will it be necessary to have a celta qualification to get any kind of job there? or would I be able to get by with say 140hrs i to i training? I just want to experience the counties and not starve!

I really appreciate any response.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Golda Meir

First of all, I've reported you to the mods for cross-posting. You don't need to plaster your question over every single forum on boards.

Secondly, you are correct that there is a lot of information out there about TEFL and CELTA. A quick google of "TEFL vs CELTA" throws up 46,700 results in 0.26 seconds. Was that not fast enough for you?

Thirdly, here is my advice as someone who is a teacher: go for CELTA. Do you honestly think you can become a teacher in 140hrs? Those TEFL certs are not worth the paper they're written on! They are scams. What's stopping me printing off my own TEFL cert? They are not accredited by any institution. Unlike CELTA, which is recognised worldwide and granted by the University of Cambridge. This is why most employers will require you to have a CELTA. With CELTA, you get actual teaching practice with feedback so you know what to do from day one of your new job. In short, you get what you pay for...

• Registered Users Posts: 30 mellowmeg

Well what was the point of that? I imagine you are great teacher, patience and understanding. :rolleyes:
    Get a life and if you are really doing so well as a teacher, shouldn't you be busy? I imagine you are not doing as well as you are leading me to believe.
    these boards are for people looking for answers, don't bother if you have nothing useful to add.

Also i am aware 140hrs will not make me a teacher but neither will a months learning celta. The teaching experience is wahat make you teacher.

It's Sunday. Here is a little nugget of info for you: Us teachers generally do not work at weekends.

I was good enough to give you advice. If you don't want to hear it, why did you start this thread?

your advice was snide and unnecessary. Don't pretend that you were trying to be helpful, you simply wanted to give a condescending and belittling lecture for no apparent reason other than not having anything else to do. Get a life and don't bother replying.

• Advertisement

In your OP you said
    I really appreciate any response
    So that was a lie?

And I wasn't going to point this out, but since you're being so snarky...your posts are littered with spelling and grammar mistakes. Perhaps you should reconsider becoming a TEFL teacher. If you were in my class, I'd fail you. For example:
    Also i am aware 140hrs will not make me a teacher but neither will a months learning celta. The teaching experience is wahat make you teacher.

<snip everyone hates a grammar nazi>

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Enough of this nonsense.
    Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement