Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build your own retro console

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Class. Defiantly doing this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I can't find a link in the store for buying the device.
    Looks nice however, don't fancy having to program my own games though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

With all the repairs & failures with modern consoles, we practically do build them...at least re-build them :p

Seriously though It looks pretty cool. I've no coding knowledge so the assembly appeals to me. Potentially a bitch to debug for though seeing as you'll have to go through your code & then check all the hardware connections etc too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Looks very cool - how much would one be talking to buy the whole kit and tools to get it put together..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Similar enough to Propellor's Hydra kit, wonder what this one is based on ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Similar enough to Propellor's Hydra kit, wonder what this one is based on ?

Based on Uzebox build with ATMega644

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I get the idea but the casing doesn't seem to available at any of the links so far.

Ah, I see, that was for the Fuzebox, which is no longer made, the Uzebox is still in production.

The Jamma one looks interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I get the idea but the casing doesn't seem to available at any of the links so far.

People should think long and hard about the casing, it could make all the difference to the end product.
    WoodCube.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5 HWHardsoft

Hi,

I'm the guy which sells the Euzebox kit.
    Monkeykube wrote: »
    People should think long and hard about the casing, it could make all the difference to the end product.
    WoodCube.jpg

Nice enclosure, but for the EUzebox we have since some days a better one ;)

file.php?id=1123

file.php?id=1124
    file.php?id=1122

• Advertisement

HWHardsoft wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm the guy which sells the Euzebox kit.

Nice enclosure, but for the EUzebox we have since some days a better one ;)

file.php?id=1123

file.php?id=1124
    file.php?id=1122

So, although you are not allowed to sell them directly here, how much are the enclosures?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Monkeykube wrote: »
    WoodCube.jpg

Indeed.

r2-d2-8-console-mod_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Indeed.

I wonder does it only play Star Wars games.:pac:

It's an insult to gaming everywhere, and should be destroyed, along with the mind that thought it would be a good idea, the numpty!

I mean, you know when people buy things, clothes, cars etc, that they think will increase their chances of getting jiggy jiggy with a girl?
    Well that monstrosity does the exact opposite,
    Any chance you have of love making with a beautiful woman goes right out the window when she sees that sitting in your living room!

So, although you are not allowed to sell them directly here, how much are the enclosures?

29€ (See the Uzebox site or my webshop for more information)
    Mr,Saturn wrote: »
    Indeed.

WOW!!! I assume a new multiplayer game console for octopuses?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

It's an insult to gaming everywhere, and should be destroyed, along with the mind that thought it would be a good idea, the numpty!

I mean, you know when people buy things, clothes, cars etc, that they think will increase their chances of getting jiggy jiggy with a girl?
    Well that monstrosity does the exact opposite,
    Any chance you have of love making with a beautiful woman goes right out the window when she sees that sitting in your living room!

If I was a girl and I seen it I'd make love to the guy that owned it right there and then :p
    Wouldn't even matter if his mother was standing in the room beside him :p

I think that says just plenty right there.

I like the movie franchise but that thing is hideous.
    Better, if the creator wanted to play multiple consoles, to stick a decent pc inside the R2 case and run a bunch of emus instead.

Uzebox Code Challenge 2013 Opens!

compo.jpg

The Uzebox community is officially launching its first game coding contest! We aim to stir interest in peoples to realize games and ideas sleeping idle in a corner of their brain! The contest will offer prizes and eternal gratification by having their names all over the place on the Uzebox site.

"Write a 8 Bit Video Game for Retro hardware and Win!"
    * Get your hands dirty with some low level coding.
    * Solder and assemble your 8 bit machine.
    * Learn how to write video kernels
    * Make a game in under 4k RAM, 60K ROM, etc
    * Make your own pixel art and retro music
    * Understand how video generation and video game hardware works.

Here's the details

Coincidence that I received mine in the post today and just finished soldering it together...

UCC 2013 is off and the and the winners are about to be revealed! In the mean time, you can download the finalist’s games here. Judges are on duty and the final results will be available in the next few days!

file.php?id=2205&mode=view

file.php?id=2206

file.php?id=2204&mode=view
    file.php?id=2203&mode=view

file.php?id=2202&mode=view

file.php?id=2201&mode=view

file.php?id=2200&mode=view

• Advertisement

Cool :) Will give them a try out.

Uzebox Coding Challenge (UCC2013) winners were announced! Conglaturations!!!

file.php?id=2233&t=1

and here a small video with all games:

Advertisement