Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB Charge Point Athy

Options
  • 25-08-2012 4:45pm

ON my travels today I say this in Athy train station.

20120825_133232.jpg

Notice how it's the furthest possible place from the station

20120825_133249.jpg

One interesting thing is if you look at the back you will see a Kw/Hr counter. And on one side it showed 7.5 Kw/Hrs and the other 40.5. Shame I didn't take a pic but I thought it was interesting. Showing it's gettine a little use.

There is one in Carlow Town at the bus station.

Sometimes I wonder if these are the places to have them because if someone is driving to the train station then surely the won't be travelling that far, so not needing to charge ?

Would it be more practical to have them in shopping centres instead ? I would have thought a town centre car park and on street would have been more ideal ?

What ye think ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

It's the devils work

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I notice it's bang in the middle of two parking spaces, are there two sockets on the charging unit i.e. can it charge two cars simultaneously?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I was down in Birr Castle in Co. Offaly a couple of weeks ago. I was amazed to see one in the public car park opposite the castle. I too would doubt that it gets much use.

It wasn't even at an "electric vehicles only" space. As the car park got busier, the space it was at was taken so even if an EV came along it wouldn't have been able to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

These seem to be in a lot of train station car parks now. Carlow certainly has one and is located as far from the station as is possible.

coylemj wrote: »
    I notice it's bang in the middle of two parking spaces, are there two sockets on the charging unit i.e. can it charge two cars simultaneously?

Yep there are two sockets. :)

• Advertisement

ksimpson wrote: »
    I was down in Birr Castle in Co. Offaly a couple of weeks ago. I was amazed to see one in the public car park opposite the castle. I too would doubt that it gets much use.

It wasn't even at an "electric vehicles only" space. As the car park got busier, the space it was at was taken so even if an EV came along it wouldn't have been able to use it.

An ICE car has every right to park in a ev charge bay In Ireland, why on earth would anyone think otherwise ? Lol this is Ireland :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭rameire

I saw a van charging at that point a week ago.
    id also like to know do elec cars get free parking or do they have to pay for parking while they charge in Irish rail car parks.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I guess locating them far from station means non electric car wont park there, unless they're to be kept free anyway which would make sense

rameire wrote: »
    I saw a van charging at that point a week ago.
    id also like to know do elec cars get free parking or do they have to pay for parking while they charge in Irish rail car parks.

To be honest I'm sure you have to pay but I didn't pay attention, there was no barrier in Athy but It's probably a pay and display.

You would have to pay as normal for any on street charging!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Athy along with all rail stations is patrolled by the merciless NCPS.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,542 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Notice how it's the furthest possible place from the station

Reason being, if they were up the front as such, standard cars would just take the spot to be closer to the doors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

There is one in Ennis right at the entrance of a car par, which means this is the default state of it:

218407.jpg

Never seen it not blocked by cars. Which to me is probably the default state of charge points in Ireland, since most motorists seem to take no notice of signs anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Just make it an EV only set of spaces with hefty fines that our friends from NCPS can enforce

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    Just make it an EV only set of spaces with hefty fines that our friends from NCPS can enforce

This is Ennis, no one cares. They will take lots of fines, but still will have a blocked EV charge point. And people screaming their head off on the Joe Duffy Show, "I was only dere for a minaa an' they clamped me the bastids!".
    EV points will have to have retractable bollards, otherwise they're just going to be perma blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Seems strange to have this at a train station. What would the driver do for the half hour waiting for a charge? It's not like you can leave it plugged in and head off on the train.

In monaghan there's one at a newish service station where you could at least relax and get a bite to eat while waiting.

I also wonder if these single point charging stations are simply for show. Surely once you go to the bother of installing these that they should at least be able to charge two cars simultaneously.

Seems strange to have this at a train station. What would the driver do for the half hour waiting for a charge? It's not like you can leave it plugged in and head off on the train.

In monaghan there's one at a newish service station where you could at least relax and get a bite to eat while waiting.

I also wonder if these single point charging stations are simply for show. Surely once you go to the bother of installing these that they should at least be able to charge two cars simultaneously.

They can charge 2 at the same time. There are two ports either side.

The idea is, leave it on the charger until you come back, all day or not.

That's why you don't see e.v marked in the spot, or why you don't see the space painted green like everywhere else because there is no law regarding e.v spaces.

Read this

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/electric-vehicles-to-get-free-parking-if-new-laws-are-put-in-motion-3095415.html

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

There is one in Ennis right at the entrance of a car par, which means this is the default state of it:

218407.jpg

Never seen it not blocked by cars. Which to me is probably the default state of charge points in Ireland, since most motorists seem to take no notice of signs anyway.

I was in the Topaz garage in Templeogue (Dublin) a couple of weeks ago. They have a charge point and the space is painted green I think with a sign. Think it just makes it a target cos there was a couple of lads eating food in their van parked in it. No shortage of free spaces either.

How do they enforce a fine? and surely your not sayign clamp them because no one on boards supports clamping, even when in the wrong. Car park owners are at the mercy of peoples bad attitudes it seems
    That's why you don't see e.v marked in the spot, or why you don't see the space painted green like everywhere else because there is no law regarding e.v spaces.

Read this

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/electric-vehicles-to-get-free-parking-if-new-laws-are-put-in-motion-3095415.html

You shouldnt need a law. If you own a car park and put a space thats only for certain things, people should obey the rules or go somewhere else.

I was in the Topaz garage in Templeogue (Dublin) a couple of weeks ago. They have a charge point and the space is painted green I think with a sign. Think it just makes it a target cos there was a couple of lads eating food in their van parked in it. No shortage of free spaces either.

How do they enforce a fine? and surely your not sayign clamp them because no one on boards supports clamping, even when in the wrong. Car park owners are at the mercy of peoples bad attitudes it seems

You shouldnt need a law. If you own a car park and put a space thats only for certain things, people should obey the rules or go somewhere else.

But people do what they want so u need laws. People have no cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

It almost comes back to the lengthy discussion we had a while back on parent and child parking. There's no law to enforce it and most of the cars I see parked in them don't have child seats so shouldn't be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Mad_Lad wrote: »

The idea is, leave it on the charger until you come back, all day or not.

Oh great, and hog the EV charger, and stop anyone else using it for the whole day ? Two clamps for you then !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

ksimpson wrote: »
    It almost comes back to the lengthy discussion we had a while back on parent and child parking. There's no law to enforce it and most of the cars I see parked in them don't have child seats so shouldn't be there.

Sorry, and I have kids btw, but segregating people who have kids, from those that don't is just plain stupid.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Oh great, and hog the EV charger, and stop anyone else using it for the whole day ? Two clamps for you then !

Well if I'm parking at a train station chances are I'd be gone most of the day! :D

As the chargers are being used more they will install more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Read this

The law on disabled parking bays only applies Local Authority parking, not to privately owned car parks either but they're widely available in shopping centres and most able bodied drivers tend to leave them clear, or risk the clampers. Designated EV-only bays could be operated along the same principles.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

galwaytt wrote: »
    Sorry, and I have kids btw, but segregating people who have kids, from those that don't is just plain stupid.

If thats what a shop wants to do with the car park they own then thats their choice. People should obey their rules or go elswhere.

If thats what a shop wants to do with the car park they own then thats their choice. People should obey their rules or go elswhere.

And that is the reason why EV bays will need retractable bollards. Every EV vehicle could have a transponder fitted that activates them.
    And this is why:
    Disabled space? But I'm driving me Nan's car with her disabled badge and that makes it OK.
    Loading bay? But I AM loading, can't you see I have a bag of groceries here?
    Double yellows? I'll only be a minaaa!
    Lines that denote parking spaces? If I take two spaces, my car won't get dinged.
    Bus stop? Ran out of excuses, so I'm just going to park here anyway and if anyone says something just start threatening them. This one also works as a universal one for all the above.
    EV bay? Of course my car is electric, sure it's got a battery beside the engine, so it's grand.

Advertisement