Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I Reduce The Size of a PDF so I can Email it??

Options
  • 25-08-2012 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I need to reduce my PDF from 600KB to 400KB. Does anyone know how I can do this? It was just an 18 page word document with one picture that doesnt account for much. I converted it to pdf but it's too large. I upgraded to adobe reader X. I have read you can use adobe reader X pro to reduce files. Is this free? I'd appreciate any help on the matter.

Kind regards

Nappy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Nappy wrote: »
    I need to reduce my PDF from 600KB to 400KB. Does anyone know how I can do this? It was just an 18 page word document with one picture that doesnt account for much. I converted it to pdf but it's too large.

600kb too large to email? Are you on dial-up? ;)

Compress it. If it's just a converted Word doc, Windows' built-in zipper should be OK (right click the PDF > Send to... > Compressed (zipped) Folder).
    I have read you can use adobe reader X pro to reduce files. Is this free?

There is no Adobe Reader X Pro. Adobe Acrobat X Pro allows you to reduce the file size of a PDF, but it certainly ain't free ($449). ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

The 90's called and they want their email address back.

Try 7zip if the Windows one doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Upload it to Google Drive and share the link

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

Thanks for all the help,

I compressed it to zip but only minimized in by 50KB.

I downloaded 7-zip but its not very user friendly for non programmers/computer newbies.

I want to attach the document as it looks more professional. It is an automated email that goes out to a mailing list. I think that is the reason its so small. Is there any other solution?

Thanks again

Nappy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Not really, 7zip is the most user friendly you will get I think, use use the default settings and set the compression to maximum, the problem is people would then need 7zip to open it.

You could try YouSendIt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

I downloaded 7-zip but its not very user friendly for non programmers/computer newbies.

Configure The 7-Zip Windows Explorer Context Menu

However, sending a 7-Zip archive will require the recipient(s) to install 7-Zip (or any compatible compression/unpack software), not exactly "professional". ZIP is a rather universal format, which can be extracted in Windows, Mac OS X and Linux out-of-the-box.
    I want to attach the document as it looks more professional.

Per se there's nothing "unprofessional" about a 600kb attachment. ;)

You can run the PDF through a PDF printer, that sometimes makes it smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

In most modern versions of MS word, go into the File \ "Save As" Dialog.
    To the left of the Save button, there is a 'Tools' Menu.

There's a 'compress pictures' option which allows you to reduce the dpi of any embedded pictures in the saved file.
    Choose an appropriate value and save. Then convert to PDF.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ftlnn

If you use a pdf printer, you should be able to reduce the resolution of the document to produce a smaller file size.

Advertisement