Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeated noise from immersion/tank

Options
  • 25-08-2012 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭

Recently moved in to an apartment. There is a regular noise coming from the hot water tank / immersion. Noise is similar to when water is actually being used, sounds like a pumping action. Its a constant throughout the day.

I will raise this with my landlord, before I do im just wondering if this is normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Recently moved in to an apartment. There is a regular noise coming from the hot water tank / immersion. Noise is similar to when water is actually being used, sounds like a pumping action. Its a constant throughout the day.

I will raise this with my landlord, before I do im just wondering if this is normal?
    No it's not normal. If its an apartment you probably have a negative head pump. The pressure vessel might need to be, recharged.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If the pump is coming on at regular intervals it is one of several possible problems.
    Most common problem is a slightly dripping tap, check all the taps even for the slightest drip. Washer may need replacing.
    Next check if your w.c. cistern filling valve is dripping. This may be caused be a fault in the filling valve or the flush valve letting water by and into the bowl.
    If there are shut off valves on the outlet side of the pump (outlet is the slightly longer brass section that the hose comes away from) try to turn one off at a time and wait a while to see if the problem stops. If it does then it confirms one of the above or a leak on a pipe somewhere.
    If all these are good and the problem persists then the next thing is possibly something caught in one of the non-return valves on the outlet side of the pump, or a damaged non-return valve. They need to be removed to be checked.
    Next I would be checking your low pressure switch, but its MTL not that.
    And after that it may be that your PCB relay is fried. And that would mean changing the PCB.
    From experience 9 times out of 10 its a drip somewhere after that its the non-returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Thanks for the info guys.

K. Flyer, I'll try check some of those tonight.

Advertisement