Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which plc college

Options
  • 25-08-2012 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

hi lads i wanted to do arts in nuim n didnt get enough points.
    i applied for plc courses, and surprinly enough most places i applied to replied me back and i have interviews..
    but i obviously cant go to all of them bcz some clash in with each other (same day, around same time). so my question is which fetac college is better for liberal arts.. rathmines or liberties college..plus did anyone study world cultures in pearse collge.. and what was it like?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

hi lads i wanted to do arts in nuim n didnt get enough points.
    i applied for plc courses, and surprinly enough most places i applied to replied me back and i have interviews..
    but i obviously cant go to all of them bcz some clash in with each other (same day, around same time). so my question is which fetac college is better for liberal arts.. rathmines or liberties college..plus did anyone study world cultures in pearse collge.. and what was it like?

thanks

I studied in Rathmines and I can tell you that it is a decent college. Most of the teachers are great, nice and approachable. The library is adequate for what you will need for the course, and the number of shops and restaurants in Rathmines make it a nice environment to be in. On top of this, the class size is quite good, and you will easily make friends as everyone generally holds a similar interest as yourself

I will give you a bit of advice though. It is best to keep up to date with your work, no matter how small it seems. Quite a number of people in my course fell very far behind by the end of the year, and had to rush 4/5 assignments in the last week as well as study for exams. If you put the work in, you will be rewarded with a place in NUIM by the end of the year. As well as that, work with people in the class as pooling ideas and notes will be beneficial (without plagiarising that is). Rathmines are pretty strict on attendance, so make yourself available for most classes when possible.

On top of that, remember that it is also great craic! I loved going to college every day and the people you meet are great. Try and organise a night out within the first few weeks of starting and ya won't regret the friends you make. I still hang around with those I studied with. :)

I have also heard that Liberties is a great college, but a bit more difficult to grab a place, as they have a smaller intake. Best of luck to you, and I hope you get the course you want!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

I may be starting in Rathmines for Liberal Arts also.
    I was just wondering how many students went on to study in UCD or NUIM from a class, how many is in a class.. You need some amount of distinctions if I'm right, can't remember what... so basically I'm just wondering is this year course worth taking to get into Arts next year, providing I work for it :P or is it that since UCD/NUIM Arts only accept a certain amount of FETAC applicants that it could come down to random selection if a lot of people got the required results yoke?

Basically any information would be cool, to be honest. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

From my class, about 6+ went on to UCD to study Arts, two went to ITT, and one went to NUIM. It should be said that not many were aiming for NUIM, and most chose UCD as their first choice. On top of this, people from the other Liberals Arts class got into college, but wouldn't know how many and where to. You need a minimum of 5 for UCD and generally you need the 8 for NUIM. Random selection is a feature, but get over the minimum amount of distinctions needed and you'll be fine. I got into UCD Arts with 7 distinctions. However, always aim for the max amount of distinctions going.

If you put in the right amount of work and listen to the course co-ordinators, it is easy to get the course you want. 3-4 hours of work outside the classroom every week would even be enough, although I'm sure the teachers would disagree ha.

Work for it and ya'll be rewarded with a shiny UCD spot. I was :) .Best of luck!

Advertisement