Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing Money In Work

Options
  • 25-08-2012 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, guys.
    On Tuesday morning I took a payment in work for €100.
    At 2pm my co-worker started her shift. We both finished at 6pm.

Later on that evening my co-worker was driving by the shop and spotted our managers' car outside the store (after closing hours).

I was off on Wednesday and recieved a call to say the payment of €100 that I took in is missing. Payments for orders are kept in their own envelopes in a cash box.

I was told by my manager that the chances are it would be taken out of my wages.

This, of course, infuriated me.
    Their are no security cameras in the store. There were 3 of us in the store that day. They are trying to blame me because I was the person that took in the payment. I know I didnt steal it. I know my co-worker steal take it.

So I see 2 options.
    The manager took it.
    Someone stole it from the store when I was at the back of the store helping a customer.
    I was working on my own until 2pm and had a couple of customers call to the back of the store to collect some goods.

it's extremely unfair that I am being blamed just because I took in the payment.

Where do I stand if they try to take the €100 from my wages?

Bair in mind that as far as I know, they can't fire me because they cant prove I took it (I did not take it).
    If I allow them to take the €100, then I would be accepting responsibilty for the money being lost. I cant afford to lose €100 from my wages. I am struggling as it is.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Tell them your getting legal advice on this.....might scare them off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Well if they can't prove you took it and you didn't take it and maintain that then how can they possibly take the money from your wages!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shambleeyed

They've done it to other people in other stores in the past.
    Im just afraid they might look for a reason to fire me. I actually feel like Im being bullied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Well then I'm afraid it's just a case of standing up for yourself and as the poster above said threaten legal advice and if it comes to it then a visit to a solicitor might be worthwhile, although I'm sure there would be no need if you went in guns ablaze telling them how you didn't take it and if they try blame you and take money from your wages then you'll be taking it further with a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shambleeyed

Thanks for the replies.
    guess somebody has to stand up to them sooner or later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'd go the legal advice route then. Have a word with FLAC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Is this a large chain or a one shop type operation?

If it's a large chain raise a grievance - to be fair this would be an idea in either respects. Next insist the gardai are called in. You may just find that it turns back up again. Only after doing this would I tell them you are going down the legal route.

Unfortunately having worked in retail for a while this is unlikely to end well. I'd suggest getting into a union as soon as possible. You are better placed to know whether employer / manager is the type to start looking for reasons to fire you. In my experience this happens when ever someone looks to assert their rights.

Advertisement