Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EPO Boost & Doping

Options
  • 25-08-2012 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭

Was perusing the Running Times over breakfast, as one does and saw a full page ad for this EPO Boost and thought to myself, say its not true.

Further reading and I believe under WADA doping control that EPO adjustment in itself is not illegal, its the blood doping manner of achieving manipulation that is the problem.

I'm not sure if the body would achieve a 'natural' level that is safe ie. that the liver, kidneys etc would balance harmful levels in such a way that the dangerous excessive levels of EPO would be avoided.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

cannot believe they are allowed advertise stuff like that openly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

"Improves running economy"?? Seriously? A tablet makes you a more efficient runner. Maybe this is the silver bullet we've all been waiting for!! Hopefully they bring out one soon that improves your swim stroke.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Looks to me like snake oil. And expensive snake oil at that! It does say it contains no banned substances, just a mix of vitamins and other bits and pieces with funky names.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

It's just echinacea and a load of vitamins and iron. Their ground breaking research showed no effect on haemoglobin or haematocrit.

The reason it's not banned is because it's a load of bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I'm pretty sure that's the product we saw on the recent RTE documentary when Ian O' Riordan showed how easy it was to procure banned substances online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

In light of relatively recent threads and chatter about testing in Irish racing at amateur level this makes an interesting read http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-32983932 and shows how easy it would be for anyone at any level to partake in blood doping.

It doesn't answer the 'why?' at AG level but does show how easy it would be and the results achievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ron Gomall

Interesting program on BBC Panorama last night that showed how easy it was for the journalist to procure & use EPO and not show up in the tests.
    WADA testing shown as ineffective for micro dosing, the cheats & scientists have obviously known this for ages
    I was naive - WADA tests appear as useful as a chocolate fireguard :-(

Advertisement