Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring Size

Options
  • 25-08-2012 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

I have ended up with a couple of Lonex M90 springs that look way shorter that the original gear box springs I have and the M85 and M80. Different brands of spring granted but I fully expected them all to be the same length. Its 130mm versus 160mm or 170mm. Hell, I don't think it will even be under tension when I assemble the gear box.

Are the different rating of springs typically different sizes? I expected them to be the same length with different compression ratings.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

thegrayson wrote: »
    I have ended up with a couple of Lonex M90 springs that look way shorter that the original gear box springs I have and the M85 and M80. Different brands of spring granted but I fully expected them all to be the same length. Its 130mm versus 160mm or 170mm. Hell, I don't think it will even be under tension when I assemble the gear box.

Are the different rating of springs typically different sizes? I expected them to be the same length with different compression ratings.

are any of the coils cut on the Lonex ones? it could be made for a different gearbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Buckmark

I took a small spring out of an m82a1( 140mm) because it was 420 fps !! I put in a long Elemental m95 ( 170mm )which was 320 fps,because its short it probably requires more energy to compress, giving more energy when it uncompresses. I think shorter springs might give better fps because I had Cyma ak's I got from Hong Kong retailers which when arrived all shot way too hot and when I went and removed the springs they were short ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

There are 3 variables to a spring

1/ Length (the overall length)
    2/ Pitch (the distance from one coil to the next)
    3/ Gauge (the thickness of the wire)

You can have 2 springs of different overall length of spring that can exert the same force/speed when fully compressed
    Different makers often have different length of springs when uncompressed and still produce the FPS when installed in a gearbox

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭thegrayson

Thanks guys. I'll install it and see what fps comes out.

Advertisement