Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions on possible major bike parts and tool order (for me anyway)

Options
  • 24-08-2012 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    Could I ask yer collective opinions on a possible major bike parts order (by my standards anyway). I would like to know if ye think the various components will be compatible as a collective for my bike. I have a Giant CRS 3.0 (2008)

Parts:
    * Shimano HG61 9 Speed Cassette 11-28
    * Shimano HG93 9 Speed Chain Each - 114 Links
    * Shimano Deore M590 Triple Chainset 175mm - 26.36.48t - 68/73mm - Silver
    * Shimano Deore M591 Conventional 9sp Front Mech Unisize - Dual Pull - 44-48t
    * Shimano MX30 Flat Pedals Silver

I currently don't have any tools to do this work but was going to buy these:
    * Shimano Crank Install Tool HollowTech II TLFC16 (XTR M960 - XT M760 - Saint)
    * Cyclo Pro Series Cassette Lockring Remover Shimano Fit
    * Park Tool Chain Whip
    * Park Tool BB Install Spanner & Tool HollowTech II TLFC32 & 16 (HollowTech II)
    * Park Tool Compact Chain Tool
    * Shimano Dry Lube
    * Shimano BB Tool
    * Big Blue Book

Thanks in advance guys,
    Fi.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭fidero

fidero wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Could I ask yer collective opinions on a possible major bike parts order (by my standards anyway). I would like to know if ye think the various components will be compatible as a collective for my bike. I have a Giant CRS 3.0 (2008)

Parts:

* Park Tool Chain Whip
    * Shimano Dry Lube
    * Shimano BB Tool
    * Big Blue Book

Thanks in advance guys,
    Fi.

I am probably going to be accused of illegal bumping my post, breaking rules, etc.. but since no one answered maybe I can put a different slant on it.

Can anyone suggest where I could ask my above question about buying bike parts & ensuring that they are compatible with each other as well as my bike?

I will tempt fate again & say "Thanks in advance",
    Fi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Hi guys,

Parts:

* Park Tool Chain Whip
    * Shimano Dry Lube
    * Shimano BB Tool
    * Big Blue Book

Thanks in advance guys,
    Fi.

Is the current set up based around an eight speed cassette? I thought some of the CRS 3.0 were eight speed. I think you may encounter problems if you go from eight to nine without changing the shifters.

Anyone else confirm the above??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Is the current set up based around an eight speed cassette? I thought some of the CRS 3.0 were eight speed. I think you may encounter problems if you go from eight to nine without changing the shifters.

Anyone else confirm the above??

my son has a CRS 3 from about this period and its 7 speed so i dont think the project to go to 9 speed would work. You would also need to add 9speed shilters to your list. I would suggest selling your current bike second hand and buying something with 9 speed. it would still be cheaper than buying all the equipment you have listed...

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭fidero

Hi guys,

Parts:

* Park Tool Chain Whip
    * Shimano Dry Lube
    * Shimano BB Tool
    * Big Blue Book

Thanks in advance guys,
    Fi.

I am probably going to be accused of illegal bumping my post, breaking rules, etc.. but since no one answered maybe I can put a different slant on it.

Can anyone suggest where I could ask my above question about buying bike parts & ensuring that they are compatible with each other as well as my bike?

I will tempt fate again & say "Thanks in advance",
    Fi

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for your feedback & sorry about the delay in replying to your post, normally quick at doing such.

Ye are correct about the 8 speed on the back. Do ye have any suggests of a suitable 8 speed cassette?

Would I be mistaken to say that the parts listed would be superior to anything that I would get on a new bike for around that price?

ND,
    Fi.

Advertisement