Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to remember a couple of 'football' arcade machines.

Options
  • 24-08-2012 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭

I'll describe them as best I can and maybe someone knows what they are. Both are probably late 80's.

1. The first one was a straight forward football game. Visually it looked a bit like microprose soccer (ie looking straight down on the players). It came in a cocktail machine so you looked down on the screen. The game used a trackball for control rather than a stick.

2. This one was a bit odder. It was actually more like arkanoid than football tbh. Defo had some sort of "hit stuff with the ball" element to it. I can't remember exactly but maybe the "ball" in this game was a football or perhaps you had to destroy footballs in the game. Like I say, think Arkanoid and then add a bit of football design/graphics. on top. Finally I think it may have used a spinner control , but I'm not sure about that.

If it's any help, for the second game I defo remember playing this in Dublin airport. There was a "Vigilante" machine there too so they probably date from around the same time (circa 1988-9).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Thanks CathalDublin. That's the game #1 that I was describing.

==

I eventually found game #2. It was "Free Kick" , a 1987 game by "Nihon".
    http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7849

I wish I had some video to show how it plays. I'm playing it just now and it's wildly addictive and difficult. The idea is like Arkanoid. You have a bat and ball down the bottom and you have to eliminate all the players who are running around the "pitch" by hitting them with the ball. TBH it's more like dodgeball than football.

Unlike Arkanoid however there isn't the standard "rebound" effect as to how the ball is returned because the players you're hitting "kick" the ball back meaning the return pattern is not so predictable/obvious. There's also two players nearest to you that you can't kill and who shoot the ball at you like strikers on a goalkeeper, so it takes the game in a whole other direction.

So imagine Arkanoid where the bricks are actually passing the ball to each other and kicking it at you and you get the idea! :)

231.jpg

Advertisement