Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitors Fees for Separation Agreement

Options
  • 24-08-2012 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi everyone!

Does anyone have an idea what solicitors charge to draw up a separation agreement? We have come up with an agreement that we're both happy with and just need solicitors to finalize it. There's no kids, house, or properties involved.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Hi everyone!

Does anyone have an idea what solicitors charge to draw up a separation agreement? We have come up with an agreement that we're both happy with and just need solicitors to finalize it. There's no kids, house, or properties involved.

Thanks!

Shop around, should be a few hundred euro to maybe a couple of grand depending on how complex it is. Pension adjustments etc can be quite expensive.

If you are the husband, don't forget to get your wife to obtain separate legal advice before signing your agreement, otherwise she might claim she didn't understand at a later stage. This should only be €100 or so though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I suggest you get a divorce rather than a seperation,you'll end up paying twice for the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

aujopimur wrote: »
    I suggest you get a divorce rather than a seperation,you'll end up paying twice for the same thing.

So they should wait the 4 years with no separation, and just wait till they have the time down to get a divorce. What do they do in the mean time about selling property etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Hi everyone!

Thanks!

Shop around. Since you are in agreement there isn't much work to do. And make sure you both, as said above, obtain separate, independent legal advice before you agree.

Also, if you want to make this agreement an order of the court you don't need a solicitor to do that for you. If you agree and get on well, everything is so simple, relatively speaking. http://courts.ie/Courts.ie/library3.nsf/pagecurrent/1FFED73D9BB994658025773100350F84?opendocument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

So they should wait the 4 years with no separation, and just wait till they have the time down to get a divorce. What do they do in the mean time about selling property etc.

OT but in all honesty probably wait given the current housing market :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

OT but in all honesty probably wait given the current housing market :D

Then things like who lives there in the meantime, who looks after the mortgage etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Then things like who lives there in the meantime, who looks after the mortgage etc.

I suppose it comes down to how amicable the separation is - given they only need it 'finalised' I am (perhaps wrongly) assuming they are being grown-up about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

If things are amicable whose to say how long their relationship has broken down.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭iCosmopolis

OP said there's no kids/house/property involved? I assume they just have to go through the motions, here sadly by law it's still a long drawn out process that makes you go through the separation process before being able to get a divorce (so a total of 5 yrs) -I'm sure I seen a previous thread mention a cost of about 150 euro if there's no contention without a need for solicitors?

OP said there's no kids/house/property involved? I assume they just have to go through the motions, here sadly by law it's still a long drawn out process that makes you go through the separation process before being able to get a divorce (so a total of 5 yrs) -I'm sure I seen a previous thread mention a cost of about 150 euro if there's no contention without a need for solicitors?

People are free to draw up their own separation agreement if they like. That costs nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 hellokitty88

Thanks to everyone who replied!

Advertisement