Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CD/DVD drive problem.

Options
  • 24-08-2012 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

My problem right now is that my CD/DVD drive isn't being detected in my Gateway laptop. I'm running Vista Service Pack 2. I noticed the problem several months ago, but it wasn't a problem because CDs are never used on this laptop. It's only a problem now because I wanted to reinstall windows with the CD that came with the laptop, so I'd like to get this fixed, but I'm fairly stumped. I think the problem came around when windows vista was reinstalled by someone a while back (I hear that can cause some problems like this).

The drive isn't being detected in Device Manager. Searching for a solution just brought me to a lot of places where the only suggestion was that I edit the registry to delete 'UpperFilters' and 'LowerFilters' in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

This is my registry entry:
    XtHbv.jpg

Originally, the key was all in lower case. I exported the key, and then changed it all to uppercase to match the rest. It made another drive visible in My Computer, but it seems to be treating it as a USB port, or something similar. As well as this, the right-hand pane doesn't match what I've seen in other people's, and I think therin lies the problem.

Is there a default registry entry that I can place in there to replace what seems to be a corrupted one? If no, does anyone know another solution?

Advertisement