Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Football

Options
  • 24-08-2012 3:20pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if people are interested, but next weekend will be a very American weekend around Dublin.

Navy V Notre Dame is an official American football game that will be staged in the Aviva Stadium.

But, aside from that, there will be pep rallies in the city as well as other events going on. Some of these will be in places like Temple Bar and Stephen's Green.

It should make for some great photo ops, especially with all the bands and cheerleaders. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I'd love a shot at shooting American Football, the difficulty level must be through the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭Homer

have tickets for the game so will bring the camera and post some pics after. Be my first attempt at shooting sports so should be interesting!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I'm going to some games on Fri, and then the main event on Saturday. Looking forward to shooting it all.

But, even aside from that, plenty happening around the city too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

where do you get tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Completely sold out since last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

kensutz wrote: »
    Completely sold out since last year.

haha - went on line to see if any were on sale - they are at sterling175 - stg 350

madness

Obviously from unofficial sources. 33000 went to season ticket holders of Notre Dame and Navy. The only tickets available are for the GIFT2012 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

Lots of events happening that you don't need tickets for.....

http://dublin.usembassy.gov/news/events-outreach/american-football-week.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

I've been shooting American football around Ireland for about three years now. I think I had a jump start on anyone else doing it because it's only in the last year I've noticed anyone else trying their hand at it outside of the national finals.
    It's not an easy sport to cover, I'll give you that. You kind of have to know the game well enough to predict plays. If you just follow the ball, you'll find yourself wondering why your frame is empty very quickly. If you know the teams and the game well, you get to a stage where you can anticipate the quarterback in certain situations (like 1st and 10, with 15 to goal; some teams will go for the big pass straight away, others will eat into that 15 with runs, etc), and read the defence to see where the action will be (a defence could be showing blitz, so a lot of the initial action will be at the line, maybe even a sack on the QB if it works).
    Between the helmets, tucking the ball, lowered stance, and the types of tackles, getting the "two eyes and a ball" criteria often goes out the window in favour of trying to show the impact. You do end up with a lot of vanilla shots - tackles and catches that looked amazing in person don't always translate - but you do get some spectacular ones, too.

Well, from talking to people from the US - Navy play a running game, with very little passing. Notre Dame play a mixed game, so some passing.

Should make for some interesting photos, even aside from the action shots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

From the right angle, the runs look a lot more interesting on camera. Unless the catch is something like a stretched-out, one-armed, diving-backwards, miracle-catch, they're usually fairly samey. Runs offer a lot more action options, but also a lot of off-the-ball options.

The action shots aren't even half the story though, you're right there. A lot of my favourite photos of the sport have come from sidelines, or just the mood on someone's face in game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭dinneenp

there's going to be 5,000 Yanks taking over the Guinness Storehouse one of the nights.
    There'll be some massive amount of Guinness drank that night....
    If someone in Dublin wanted to try their arm you could try to get a contact and ask them if they'd like a photographer there on the evening. Take photos of them pulling a pint, in the Gravity bar etc. Could make a few bucks from it....

That will be covered from all angles anyway. Agencies will be assigned to that.

Other events in Navan and Trim -

http://emerald.newgraphic.ie/fanzone/

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭fermoyboy

Lot more restrictions shooting the game Saturday than shooting the games in the Irish league. Also the game will be a lot faster too.

Should be a fun day!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

There is a match in Parnell Park on Friday afternoon/evening. Not sure of the time. Would be good to see the game and the razmataz that goes with it.

LeoB wrote: »
    There is a match in Parnell Park on Friday afternoon/evening. Not sure of the time. Would be good to see the game and the razmataz that goes with it.

Actually, there are two matches.

16.00 Game Kent School (Connecticut) vs Irish/UK All-Stars
    19.30 Notre Dame High School (California) vs. Hamilton High School (Arizona)

Should be good. I'll be there shooting, so looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭fermoyboy

The 2nd game in Parnell Park should be a good one.

I'll be shooting both games there too as practice for Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭cena

Paulw wrote: »
    Actually, there are two matches.

16.00 Game Kent School (Connecticut) vs Irish/UK All-Stars
    19.30 Notre Dame High School (California) vs. Hamilton High School (Arizona)

Should be good. I'll be there shooting, so looking forward to it.

How much is it to get into them games.

cena wrote: »
    How much is it to get into them games.

€15. http://www.tickets.ie/events.aspx/search?s=gift2012

• Advertisement

Had a brilliant time yesterday. A long day, but worth it.

I still have to go through the High school images from Fri night.

Anyway, my contribution from Saturday - Navy V Notre Dame.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

The atmosphere was incredible on Saturday. Best I've seen in a long time. Notre Dame were fantastic with the boots and gloves in the green, white and orange for the day.

Gallery I took from the match:
    http://www.bdonnellyphotography.com/p418946761

Advertisement