Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New here. Recommendations.

Options
  • 24-08-2012 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hey guys, I just recently got into reading comics. Started off with Spiderman, Batman, and Deadpool. Just wanted to ask if anyone has any recommendations for me. I want to get into the walking dead, how good are the comics?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuzz McG

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056670629

That thread has plenty of recommendations! The first 50 issues of The Walking Dead are quite good (they're collected in one massive Compendium volume that's worth checking out, it's great value). After that it starts treading water a bit. If you like the TV show though, you'll like the comic.

There's a new comic coming out right now called Saga that's absolutely brilliant. Criminal and Fatale are also fantastic. Chew, Sweet Tooth, Transmetropolitan, Preacher, any Punisher stuff written by Garth Ennis.

If you want some superhero stuff, you generally can't go wrong with Batman. The current run of Uncanny X-Force (feat. Deadpool, Wolverine, Psylocke, Angel and Fantomex) is pretty darn impressive too. Ed Brubaker's Captain America run (starting with The Winter Soldier; this appears to be what the next Captain America film will be based on) is worth a look too. Grant Morrison's New X-Men and Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men are great. Oh and The Runaways, about a bunch of teenagers who discover their parents are supervillains!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭JohnnyQuid

Fuzz McG wrote: »

That thread has plenty of recommendations! The first 50 issues of The Walking Dead are quite good (they're collected in one massive Compendium volume that's worth checking out, it's great value). After that it starts treading water a bit. If you like the TV show though, you'll like the comic.

There's a new comic coming out right now called Saga that's absolutely brilliant. Criminal and Fatale are also fantastic. Chew, Sweet Tooth, Transmetropolitan, Preacher, any Punisher stuff written by Garth Ennis.

If you want some superhero stuff, you generally can't go wrong with Batman. The current run of Uncanny X-Force (feat. Deadpool, Wolverine, Psylocke, Angel and Fantomex) is pretty darn impressive too. Ed Brubaker's Captain America run (starting with The Winter Soldier; this appears to be what the next Captain America film will be based on) is worth a look too. Grant Morrison's New X-Men and Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men are great. Oh and The Runaways, about a bunch of teenagers who discover their parents are supervillains!

Thanks a million. I will have a look through all your suggestions. I'll definitely have a look at the Captain America on so I can pick apart the film when it comes out :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭Ridley

Fuzz McG wrote: »

Plus Compendium 2 is out next month. It's also cheaper than the original on Amazon at the moment (and the pre-order's just over the minimum spend you need to get free delivery).

Advertisement