Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your History projects going to be on?

Options
  • 24-08-2012 3:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

For the students doing their History projects for the 2013 Leaving Cert. I just want to see what other people are up to. I'm doing mine on the Christmas Truce of WWI.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 UpAllNight_00

I have written a draft for Thomas Andrews involvement with the Titanic, but I really wanted to do something on Bobby Kennedy or the astronauts after the Apollo space missions.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mossy95

The Hassassins during the first crusade hopfully as I cant find a whole lot of information on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CatEyed92

The aims of the European Recovery Plan and it's success?

Is this ok to do?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 UpAllNight_00

As long as it's not on the course and is in the dates allowed you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

When I did leaving cert (a year ago), I did my history project on Chernobyl disaster in Ukraine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Gaa123

I got an A1 in history this year, pick a real specific general in ww2 and his position during an important period, i know everyone says do something local but its impossible to do with limited resourses!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭amymak

I did my Leaving Cert last year (got an A1, :D Thank god after all the work I put into essays.)

I did my special topic on the trial of Anne Boleyn. I found it relatively easy to get sources. I'm looking at the script this day week, I'm really looking forward to seeing how I did.
    I think that it's probably not a bad idea to to something that didn't occur in the last century as that's what most topics are based on. (I'd say that LC history examiners must gain a ridiculously detailed knowledge of WWII from all the special topics based on it.) At least three in our class of twelve did one set in WWII.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 fionagotbored

After changing my mind about 20 times I'm doing mine on the Treaty of Limerick :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

CatEyed92 wrote: »
    The aims of the European Recovery Plan and it's success?

Is this ok to do?? :confused:
    Dates-wise it's fine, but it's a VERY broad topic tbh, far too much so for a LC history project imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 felixfelicis

(Did the Leaving this year! A1 in History, yay!)

I did mine on Abraham Lincoln and his involvement in the issue of slavery.

I would recommend doing something that's not on the curriculum / that's local / or that is very specific and heavily detailed. And, of course, an area that you love :)

Some other really interesting projects in my class were on Marie Antoinette, Leonardo Da Vinci, the Ku Klux Klan, William Wallace, and (of course) Mengele!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 KevinNoonan

I'm going to do mine on one of the few registered international battles Ireland has ever fought ......The siege of Jadotville.It seems a good choice as I hadnt heard of it before I stumbled across it and so I'm hoping the unique story will help plus its quite interesting and I may be able to get an actual interview with someone who was there as its only late 60s.Thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

did LC 3 years ago and did Soloheadbeg ambush that started war of independence
    Id recommend doing something that's not on the curriculum or very specific that you have plenty of detail to discuss. do a topic in an area that you really enjoy as itll be much easier to do and if at all possible do something local enough to you

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm going to do mine on one of the few registered international battles Ireland has ever fought ......The siege of Jadotville.It seems a good choice as I hadnt heard of it before I stumbled across it and so I'm hoping the unique story will help plus its quite interesting and I may be able to get an actual interview with someone who was there as its only late 60s.Thoughts?

Fantastic choice.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

The siege of Jadotville is a fantastic choice. I did mine last year and did it on the Titanic voyage up till the sinking. Got 98, and I was thrilled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

My bro is doing his on the 1st amendment to the US constitution after being persuaded by his teacher that the Gracchi brothers from ancient rome was too general a topic. Better to focus on something small and detailed imo as it's a relatively short essay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mavis94

The Siege of Jadotville is an excellent choice, especially because examiners love seeing interviews as a listed source.
    K4t wrote: »
    the Gracchi brothers from ancient rome was too general a topic.

I agree that maybe that project would be a tad bit broad - the biographical ones tend to be. Why doesn't he just narrow the date parameters down and change the title? He could choose to focus on Gaius and then do an analysis of why his reforms failed. You could easily get a project out of that because you have to go into a short biography of Gaius and what motivated his reforms, the reforms themselves and then why they failed. Hell, I'd read that project for fun!

I did the LC last year and my history project was "The Forgotten Holocaust", about the Nazi extermination of the disabled which got full marks (:D).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 FlyingGrayson

I'm thinking of doing something about Alan Turing, though I'm not sure yet which aspect I want to focus on.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mossy95

What is the most recent year your topic can be in?
    Im planning to do the Battle of Mogiadishu was in 1993 am I able to do it.
    Also I guess it would be a good enough topic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

My topic is going to be the Impact of the Munich Air Crash (Busby Babes) on Manchester United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

K4t wrote: »
    My bro is doing his on the 1st amendment to the US constitution after being persuaded by his teacher that the Gracchi brothers from ancient rome was too general a topic. Better to focus on something small and detailed imo as it's a relatively short essay.
    Are you allowed to do your project on something from ancient Greek/Roman history? My brother is obsessed with that, but he thought he wouldn't be allowed do it 'cause it wouldn't be within the dates? He'll be so happy if it turns out he can :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 mavis94

Yeah, the only date limit imposed is that your project can't be after 1993 if based on Irish history or 1992 for global history. It says so in the guidelines printed in the research book, which are the last page here http://www.examinations.ie/exam/HistoryCourseworkJournal.pdf

So yes, your brother can write about ancient Greece/Rome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ChrisGuiller13

I was going to do it on the treatment of children in the Russian Gulags. I'm doing Higher Level and was wondering is it too broad?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 TheFlayedMan

I'm choosing the underrated Roman Dictator Lucius Cornelius Sulla!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 D3luka

i know its a broad topic but something on black slavery in america?
    thoughts?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

D3luka wrote: »
    i know its a broad topic but something on black slavery in america?
    thoughts?

Way too broad. Pick an individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Mr_Maestro

Do something particularly unknown to the masses, which is interesting, and you will get an A for the history project.

I did mine on Joachim Peiper about 3 years ago now. German adjutant to Heinrich Himmler during the second world war. Plenty of information on him and not many people will be doing him for the project.

The History project was one of the best things in 6th year tbh :)

*Just for clarity's sake. I did the latter of Peipers career in the second world war, at which point he was accused of committing war crimes in Belgium. Apparently he wasn't there when the atrocities were committed, but as commander of the unit he took the responsibility for the massacre of American soldiers. His trial was interesting too, as he was one of the people the US wanted to make an example of after the second world war. After spending almost eleven years on death row, he was released as the US Senate Committee of Armed forces came to the conclusion of improper pre-trial procedures.

He was released in 1956 and was murdered in France in 1976. He was in the process of writing a book about the Malmedy incident and what during his trial.

A very interesting character, if anybody is interested.

Advertisement