Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copy Files From DVD

Options
  • 23-08-2012 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

So this is a strange one that has me baffled.

I have some videos off of my camcorder that are AVI files I have backed up to DVD. I just backed them up the other day and there were no errors or anything like that. In fact, I can throw the DVD in my computer or DVR and play it without issue, viewing all the AVI files (DVD-ISO format).

The problem is I want to copy the AVI files off the DVD they all copy fine with the exception of one which is 1.5 gigs. It gets about halfway through and just stops. After about five minutes windows throws a generic error saying it can't copy the file and thats it. I actually have two DVDs now, both with camcorder files both with one large 1.5 gig file and the same thing is happening. They work when you play from them, you can view them without issue, but when trying to pull the large file from the disc it just stops halfway and craps out.

Any ideas on something to try or maybe a piece of software that could copy these for me?

I have tried creating an ISO from the disc, but that failed.

I tried ZIPPING the file and RARING the file, both of those things failed.

Still working on it but thought I would throw it out here and see if anyone else had some ideas sure.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

do they play on the PC ?

try copying the files in safe mode or with antivirus turned off to see if it's that

if all else fails you could use a linux boot disk and the ddrescue program to scrape 1's and 0's off the DVD - that's if all else fails

Probably a bad disc.

When you burn a disc, if it is important data then you need to verify it - which means the burning program will read it back and make sure it is 100% readable and identical to the source file.

The fact that you can play them doesnt mean a whole lot. Firstly are you playing the entire file from start to finish? Because if you are just flicking through the video then its possible you are skipping straight past the unreadable sectors. The bad sectors may only account for a few seconds of footage.

Secondly video playback is more forgiving of bad sectors than a file copy operation.

I would clean the disc (always straight out from centre) and try in another optical drive if possible. Some drives are better than others at reading problem discs.

Advertisement