Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on streaming.

Options
  • 23-08-2012 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    I'm listening from abroad.
    RTE Radio 1 streams on my Tunein Radio App at 96kbps which eats a hole into my 500mb per month allowance :-(

On the other hand when I listen to Public Radio KUHF run on contributions I have a choice on the Choose Stream option of 128,120,56 and 24kbps. 24kbps is fine for speech based radio and has a very long buffer leading to almost no dropout and cutting my data use right down.

I have contacted a source in RTE involved in the digital platform but just get my requests for a 24kbps Choose Stream option kicked in the long grass :-(

My question is, is it hard/expensive/difficult for RTE to set up the choose stream option?

By RTE having people having the choice of 24kbps which is a quarter of the existing 96kbps it could be win win, less data use out and people listening longer and not worrying about their data been eaten up/wasted on speech based radio.

Any views both tech and other would be welcome.

Thanks for reading.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Greenman wrote: »
    Hello,
    I'm listening from abroad.
    RTE Radio 1 streams on my Tunein Radio App at 96kbps which eats a hole into my 500mb per month allowance :-(

On the other hand when I listen to Public Radio KUHF run on contributions I have a choice on the Choose Stream option of 128,120,56 and 24kbps. 24kbps is fine for speech based radio and has a very long buffer leading to almost no dropout and cutting my data use right down.

I have contacted a source in RTE involved in the digital platform but just get my requests for a 24kbps Choose Stream option kicked in the long grass :-(

My question is, is it hard/expensive/difficult for RTE to set up the choose stream option?

By RTE having people having the choice of 24kbps which is a quarter of the existing 96kbps it could be win win, less data use out and people listening longer and not worrying about their data been eaten up/wasted on speech based radio.

Any views both tech and other would be welcome.

Thanks for reading.:)

It wouldn't be expensive to run the server at 24kbps with a small amount of listeners. Then again this is RTE we are talking about it would run into the thousands.

You try run a small relay server yourself and bring it down to 24kbps yourself or try find someone broadcasting it at a lower rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

msg11 wrote: »
    It wouldn't be expensive to run the server at 24kbps with a small amount of listeners. Then again this is RTE we are talking about it would run into the thousands.

You try run a small relay server yourself and bring it down to 24kbps yourself or try find someone broadcasting it at a lower rate.

Thanks for your reply:)

Would you be able to tell me more so I can relay it back to RTE.

Would you have a link or two explaining it in simple terms and the hardware involved.

Thanks again.

JD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Well if you got a free streaming server or a paid one from say internet-radio.org and set it up to relay another server or just stream to it yourself you could set the bit rate yourself because you own the server.

Doubt RTE would listen, if they wanted to set up a 24kpbs it would cost them 1000s.

Advertisement