Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redundancy Query

Options
  • 23-08-2012 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have a question about redundancy. I was meant to be off temporarily for a few months so I'm currently on JSA. I was called into work last week to be informed the place is closing and I'll be getting redundancy.

The redundancy is under €10,000. I was wondering do I need to inform the social welfare? Will it affect my JSA?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

I have a question about redundancy. I was meant to be off temporarily for a few months so I'm currently on JSA. I was called into work last week to be informed the place is closing and I'll be getting redundancy.

The redundancy is under €10,000. I was wondering do I need to inform the social welfare? Will it affect my JSA?

You need to let sw know that you are no longer on a temp lay off. €10,000 will not affect your jsa payment unless you have other capital as the first €20000 is not assessed for means. Are you on jsa or jsb....I would presume you are on jsb in view of the fact you have received this amount of redundancy. If you are on jsb rather than jsa then this amount will not impact on your jsb. When your jsb exhausts then you will be means tested for jsa and any capital you have>€20000 will be assessed as means and if you have a partner/spouse who is employed then their means from employment will also be assessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the reply.

I'm actually on JSA as I was on casual dockets for the last year due to reduced hours which was meant to be temporary, but like a lot of places things didn't pick up so lost my job completely.

Even though I'm on JSA once it's below €20,000 it shouldn't affect my payment?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Thanks for the reply.

I'm actually on JSA as I was on casual dockets for the last year due to reduced hours which was meant to be temporary, but like a lot of places things didn't pick up so lost my job completely.

Even though I'm on JSA once it's below €20,000 it shouldn't affect my payment?
    Indeed http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/means_test_for_social_welfare_payments/means_test_for_jobseekers_allowance.html

Advertisement