Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSD for late 2008 Macbook

Options
  • 23-08-2012 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I have a MacBook (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008) and am looking to buy a solid state drive for it. Does anyone know if it is worthwhile buying a 6gb one as opposed to a 3gb one? And is it possible to take out my cd-drive and put the ssd in instead of this rather than take out my old hard drive? Has anyone done this themselves or do I need to leave it in somewhere to get done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I have 2009 MBP, which I believe is quite similar toy MB hardware wise.

1. Don't waste money on 6gbs - you are not going to use it.
    2. I have ssd installed in hdd bay and 500gb in mediabay, no issues at all. It is very easy to do this, few screws to take the bottom cover and 3 screws to take out optical drive.

Ifixit.com has great guides.

This are the guides for mbp, I sent them to my collague, he said they were perfect:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBHJRD8p3xg
    http://lifehacker.com/5541774/how-to-install-a-solid+state-drive-in-your-macbook

And this is the bay that I have, cheap and fast delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 douglywougly

Thanks. The idea will be to have the SSD for the OS and programs and my current HDD for files. How difficult is it to transfer my current OS and programs to the SSD and how would i go about doing it?

Given that i'll be using the SSD for the OS and programs will i have to put it where my current HDD is now and move the HDD to where my optical drive is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Thanks. The idea will be to have the SSD for the OS and programs and my current HDD for files. How difficult is it to transfer my current OS and programs to the SSD and how would i go about doing it?

Given that i'll be using the SSD for the OS and programs will i have to put it where my current HDD is now and move the HDD to where my optical drive is?

use carbon copy cloner or similar. As for the second part - doesn't matter where you are going to install it, both ports are the same speed

• Registered Users Posts: 46 douglywougly

docentore wrote: »
    use carbon copy cloner or similar. As for the second part - doesn't matter where you are going to install it, both ports are the same speed

When copying over the old HDD to the SSD, will i still have the programs duplicated on the old HDD? If so do i simply uninstall those programs from the HDD or is this covered when using something like Carbon Copy Cloner?

Thanks for the help.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

docentore wrote: »

Maybe not an issue with that Macbook but with the newer ones, the machine can only be woken from sleep when the OS is installed on the drive in the original bay and not the optical bay. If this is also the case with a 2008 model, then the SSD needs to be installed in the original HDD slot

• Advertisement
Advertisement