Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I Come Home Yet?

Options
  • 23-08-2012 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

HI all,

Im currently living and working in Australia and to be honest,
    I cant wait to go home :(!

What I want to know is if their is any chance on me going home and getting a job that would pay enough to support myself so i wouldnt have to move back into my mothers home in the near future.

My Qualification kinda went out the window when the recssion hit because..
    yes you guessed it I worked in construction as a Carpenter!

I have considered going back to school but its very hard to imagine doing that and giving up a perfectly good job and good money in Australia to go home and have no money no job and live under my parents roof again and go through school again, not that their was anything wrong with living with them I just think its time for me to have my own place.
    I really do want to be back home in good ole Ireland but I do need to be working I couldnt be unemployed again so what do I do?

Can you see my Predicament?

I know their will be people reading this and saying to themselves-

"shut up moaning arent you living the good life with good weather and good money"

But its hardly a good life if your not happy and want to be home!:(

Im not even sure if this is a question or if its just a "stage" to vent from.
    Anyways thanks for reading Im not sure what can come from this,

Maybe a little inspiration.

Thanks again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

You chances depend on what you want to do, and how qualified you are to do it.. :)

My advice would be to work out what you want to do.. get as far as you can in Australia while working (night courses etc.), and work out if the next steps are achievable within the limits you have set yourself..

Work and Jobs is probably a better forum for this.. might want to ask a mod to move it..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 IrishnOz

Welease wrote: »
    You chances depend on what you want to do, and how qualified you are to do it.. :)

My advice would be to work out what you want to do.. get as far as you can in Australia while working (night courses etc.), and work out if the next steps are achievable within the limits you have set yourself..

Work and Jobs is probably a better forum for this.. might want to ask a mod to move it..

Thanks Welease!:o
    New to boards.ie ill try get it moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Come back and do a degree while it's still free.

Jame Gumb wrote: »
    Best of luck with whatever you decide.
    Cheers Jame!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

moved from politics

IrishnOz wrote: »
    to where sorry im new

He moved the thread to the "Work & Jobs" forum.

Come back and do a degree while it's still free.
    Thanks Chazz M M good link!
    also great user name!

Thanks Chazz M M good link!
    also great user name!

Are you any good at maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 kevin james murray

as regards getting a job that depends what part of the country you returning too. ware i am its like a dessert. Summer starting over their winter starting here stick it out

• Advertisement

Are you any good at maths?
    Yea id like to think so, dont get me wrong maths wasnt my strongest subject but it certantly wasnt my worst!

Yea id like to think so, dont get me wrong maths wasnt my strongest subject but it certantly wasnt my worst!

What did you get in the leaving, what level?

What did you get in the leaving, what level?
    Unfortunatly I never done my leaving cert I left school to start an apprentiship.
    not the smartest decision ive ever made but I never saw that the building trade would die a death!

Unfortunatly I never done my leaving cert I left school to start an apprentiship.
    not the smartest decision ive ever made but I never saw that the building trade would die a death!
    Chazz what degree would you recommend?

Ive heard lost of storys of people back home just out of college with all sorts of degrees that cant get work.

Ok, in that case you won't able to apply directly for degree courses. I recommend having a read of this document, page 124 might be of interest.

http://www.qualifax.ie/attachments/096_Mature.pdf

If you are anyway decent with numbers, I highly recommend pursuing a degree in any of maths/statistics/economics/Computer Science. There are always jobs for people who are good with numbers. It might take you five years to get through the education (which is a great experience, by the way) but at the other end you will be set for life.

And read this about financing.

http://www.studentfinance.ie/

as regards getting a job that depends what part of the country you returning too. ware i am its like a dessert. Summer starting over their winter starting here stick it out
    Cheers Kevin am trying to convince myself to do exactly that with not much luck.

P.s are you looking for anyone to maintain the sand in your desert :-)

Chazz what degree would you recommend?

Ive heard lost of storys of people back home just out of college with all sorts of degrees that cant get work.

They either have:

a) Degrees that have little or no tangible value to an employer

b) Did a degree that is in demand, but got poor grades

Ok, in that case you won't able to apply directly for degree courses. I recommend having a read of this document, page 124 might be of interest.

http://www.qualifax.ie/attachments/096_Mature.pdf

If you are anyway decent with numbers, I highly recommend pursuing a degree in any of maths/statistics/economics/Computer Science. There are always jobs for people who are good with numbers. It might take you five years to get through the education (which is a great experience, by the way) but at the other end you will be set for life.

And read this about financing.

http://www.studentfinance.ie/
    Chazz mate im stumped !

Ive no idea what made sign up to Boards today but arent I glad that I did.
    I can hardly believe that someone like your very good self of which ive never met nor even spoke to before
    could go to the trouble of doing what you have done for me today!!

Further education was an avenue I was willing to go down but I wasnt sure how to go about it and what degree to go for.
    At least now I have another option to look at.

Chazz, Thank You Very much and fair play to you for giving me your time and support.

Im gonna check that pdf out now.

Cheers.
    . D.

No problem, if you need more advice, just ask. I went to uni at the age of 24, so I know what it's like.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Stay where you are in that case, and do the Leaving Cert equivalent in Oz.

=-=

Without the LC, or the LC equivalent, your choice in college courses may be restricted. Best check if you can do a night course in Oz to do the LC equivalent.

=-=

Probably best to ring or email the college, let them know that you're in Oz, didn't do the LC, and find out what you'd need to apply for X course.

There's no point in coming back and finding out you could have done a course while in Oz to avoid having to do the LC.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Ok, in that case you won't able to apply directly for degree courses.

Not necessarily true, I got excepted into a Lvl 8 Science degree, having left school at 16 to train as a chef, no leaving cert . Now heading into 3rd year at the ripe old age of 43. Got excepted on my first try on "Life Experience" alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,731 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

the_syco wrote: »
    Stay where you are in that case, and do the Leaving Cert equivalent in Oz.

But if you cannot prove that you were living in Ireland within a certain timeframe (used to be for three of the last five years, I'm not sure if it's changed), then you would have to pay non-EU fees for the course. Trust me, they are expensive. Depending on your status, you may be better to either study in Oz and come home with quals, or come home and start the LC or foundation course process here.

OP, how many times have you visited home since you've been away? Any extended visits?

There's a very well-known pattern of people from Ireland or the UK

1) moving to Oz or NZ
    2) deciding that it's not for them after all, and moving home
    3) finding that they can't handle life at home any more either (be it the weather, corruption, friends have all left, etc), and emigrating a 2nd time.

Can you work out exactly what it is about Oz that's making you miserable?

JustMary wrote: »
    But if you cannot prove that you were living in Ireland within a certain timeframe (used to be for three of the last five years, I'm not sure if it's changed), then you would have to pay non-EU fees for the course. Trust me, they are expensive. Depending on your status, you may be better to either study in Oz and come home with quals, or come home and start the LC or foundation course process here.

OP, how many times have you visited home since you've been away? Any extended visits?

There's a very well-known pattern of people from Ireland or the UK

1) moving to Oz or NZ
    2) deciding that it's not for them after all, and moving home
    3) finding that they can't handle life at home any more either (be it the weather, corruption, friends have all left, etc), and emigrating a 2nd time.

Can you work out exactly what it is about Oz that's making you miserable?

Actually, that's true. It's something he should look into. Also, for grants, it's where you were living in Sept of the year before you start college that decides your funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

"be it the weather, corruption, friends have all left, etc), and emigrating a 2nd time."

Sounds like your saying there is no corruption in oz.
    The guy (or is it?) want to come home.. that is from the heart and he cant help what his heart is telling him.
    Come home op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Is there anything you could do to make yourself happier on Oz?

I live in Beijing and this place does my head in sometimes, so I try to surround myself with things which make me happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,135 ✭✭✭✭looksee

They either have:

a) Degrees that have little or no tangible value to an employer

b) Did a degree that is in demand, but got poor grades

Two daughters, both with MScs, one in food, one in climate/environment. One in America, one in UK.

looksee wrote: »
    Two daughters, both with MScs, one in food, one in climate/environment. One in America, one in UK.

That's why I recommend a maths intensive degree. Analytics is a rapidly expanding field with opportunities in just about every sector you can think of. Despite the recession, I have not been out of work once and I constantly get offers of interviews on LinkedIn, from a variety of sectors.

Food and climate are too specific, although I am surprised that your "food" daughter could not get work here, given that sector has been performing well.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0420/1224314969971.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I can understand how you miss Ireland OP but the economy is in ruins - I would have to advise you to stay in Oz for now. Degrees seem to count for little with so few jobs available - just the new irish ' job ' of unpaid internships.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

That's why I recommend a maths intensive degree.

In fairness most people could not do a maths degree. Not because maths is hard - it is easy if it is explained properly - but because most maths books and maths teachers don't know how to teach.

Advertisement