Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC - ESPN/Setanta 1

Options
  • 23-08-2012 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Howya lads,

Recently subscribed to ESPN on a fairly basic UPC package, although we do have the sky sports package which meant the ESPN add-on was (only) an extra €10 a month. I did this because I was hoping to view more games of one particular team and felt they would feature on ESPN more than on Setanta 1, which would have been an extra €15 a month.
    However, since making this purchase less than 2 weeks ago, I now feel I should have went for the setanta 1 subscription as they feature Europa league, ESPN don't (AFAIK).
    Now, I would like to cancel the ESPN subscription and add-on Setanta instead!
    Has anyone else successfully done this? :o
    I'd rather not occur too many charges from UPC/ESPN in doing so, as I presume there is something in the contract that states I have to pay off the remaining 11 months or something on the ESPN subscription :confused:
    Any advice??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Nobler32 wrote: »
    Howya lads,

Recently subscribed to ESPN on a fairly basic UPC package, although we do have the sky sports package which meant the ESPN add-on was (only) an extra €10 a month. I did this because I was hoping to view more games of one particular team and felt they would feature on ESPN more than on Setanta 1, which would have been an extra €15 a month.
    However, since making this purchase less than 2 weeks ago, I now feel I should have went for the setanta 1 subscription as they feature Europa league, ESPN don't (AFAIK).
    Now, I would like to cancel the ESPN subscription and add-on Setanta instead!
    Has anyone else successfully done this? :o
    I'd rather not occur too many charges from UPC/ESPN in doing so, as I presume there is something in the contract that states I have to pay off the remaining 11 months or something on the ESPN subscription :confused:
    Any advice??

That won't be a problem and you won't incure any extra charges you are

going too be paying them more. I done that in the past when i changed

from movies to sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Doesnt ESPN come as part of one of the standard packages? There's no subscription required if you get the Max package or whatever it's called

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Nobler32

I had heard that too before so rang them up about it, but they told me we didn't qualify for the free ESPN with whatever package we have..

True ESPN is free with all TV packs OP I would look into that.

Nobler32 wrote: »
    I had heard that too before so rang them up about it, but they told me we didn't qualify for the free ESPN with whatever package we have..

What TV pack are you on?

• Advertisement

Upon looking at the UPC website it seems that we have 'Digital Value +' with add ons of Sky sports and Sky Movies..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

ESPN is 'free' if you have the Select Extra package; or else separately as the ESPN package.

You'll probably have to pay 10/15 euros downgrade charge at least, I'm don't think they'll charge you for 11 months... Otherwise fewer people would sign up for the extra packages.

luzon wrote: »
    True ESPN is free with all TV packs OP I would look into that.
    On their website's list of channels for the 'Digital Value +' pack it only includes Setanta ireland and Sky sports news under the sports section I'm afraid. Unless that has since changed?

who_me wrote: »

You'll probably have to pay 10/15 euros downgrade charge at least, I'm don't think they'll charge you for 11 months... Otherwise fewer people would sign up for the extra packages.

If it is just a case of paying a downgrade charge then I suppose that isn't too bad! Hopefully you're right and I won't have to pay off the contract! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

You are on the Value pack at 26.50pm then really best thing to do is upgrade to Select Extra for a extra 6.50 and get ESPN included saves you 3.50, what broadband do you have as if you have Eircom you can watch Setanta on Eircom Sports Hub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Europa League games are on 3e are they not (once the competition proper starts)?

Personally Id stick with ESPN; Setanta is shocking value at €15 a month for one (very poor) channel.

Have broadband + telephone from UPC too! Probably should have just upgraded to the Select + package now that you mention it!
    Yeh 3e will be showing selected Europa league matches as well as Setanta (mainly Setanta 1) and ITV 4, however it seems ITV 4 won't be available in the republic when they're broadcasting Europa league

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

djimi wrote: »
    Europa League games are on 3e are they not (once the competition proper starts)?

Personally Id stick with ESPN; Setanta is shocking value at €15 a month for one (very poor) channel.

Yeah, it started off as one channel (Setanta Ireland), then the HD channel, and Setanta Sports 1 & 2 were added - as the price increased.

Now, Sports 2 is gone and Setanta Ireland & HD are available on the Value package.. it doesn't make much sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shane.

setanta are snakes, they put all the man u games on ss1 and the rubbish games on setanta ireland

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

OP I would say "act in haste, repent in leisure" on this one...

Currently the UEFA Europa League is at its play-off round. Unlike the UEFA Champions League (which also reached its play-off round this week), play-off round matches are not included in the centrally sold television rights packages for the competition. As I understand it they are sold on a one-off basis by the home teams.

For the remainder of the competition, the rights are as follows:

Ireland
    First pick - 3e. Next two matches (one 6:00pm and one 8:00pm pick) - Setanta Sports.

UK
    ---
    First two picks - ITV. All remaining picks - ESPN.

Now the last time Liverpool (which I assume is the club you support...) featured in the UEFA Europa League, the 2010-11 season, 3e showed their matches most game weeks while they remained in the competition. You can guarantee that practically every game week they will be showing either Liverpool or Tottenham Hotspur. Even if they don't show Liverpool, there is as good a chance Liverpool's matches will be shown on Setanta Ireland or ESPN as there is that the only UPC broadcaster of the match will be Setanta Sports 1. (Unfortunately, at least up until the knock-out stages, we can discount ITV, who will probably show all but the most important games on ITV4. All sports programming on ITV4 is blocked on UPC).

Even if you do decide to go for Setanta Sports 1 besides all this, know that ESPN is included in all but the Digital Basic pack on UPC. It's actually cheaper to upgrade to the Digital Select pack than it is to get ESPN standalone with Digital Basic and you get On-Demand box sets too.

To add - Liverpool v Hearts reverse fixture is on ESPN on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 robbyp

hi, i'm new to the site, so i hope i've got the right forum, i was wondering is their going to be any premiership football on setanta ireland this season, because so far all the matches have been on setanta sports 1. thanks in advance.

Hi, welcome to the Cable and Digital forums. While we have a rule here that we don't drag up old threads (basically if thread is more than a week or so since last post you should start a new one), to answer your question, according to a post by Setanta on their Facebook page, there will be Premier League games on Setanta Ireland in October.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement