Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Received Cheque from Social Welfare

Options
  • 23-08-2012 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭

Hi there

I received a cheque from Social Welfare yesterday.

It has Bank of Ireland on it. Do I cash it in a BOI or do I have to go to my own bank which is Allied of Bank?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

This post has been deleted.

I think he means can he exchange it for cash.

I can't imagine a SW cheque having no crossing, especially a crossing which would state "A/C Payee Only Non Negotiable".

Depends on the cheque really.

Normally, you would have to lodge it into your own account and wait 5 days for it to clear as it is not a cheque belonging to your bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Ok cheers lads. Yeah I brought it to my own bank and lodge it into my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Diamond_Ninja

YFlyer wrote: »
    Ok cheers lads. Yeah I brought it to my own bank and lodge it into my account.

Out of curiosity, how long did it take to clear?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

You used to be able to cash cheques from dole/rent allowance etc in various places like Dunnes but I think pretty much all of those have stopped doing that.

So it appears you need your own bank account to cash things through.

I was told an answer to the question in the Dail I'd overheard at the start of the summer concerning continuing to use Post Offices to pay welfare recipients through. This apparently had to do with a drive to tie people to having bank accounts, which was apparently the other option for electronic payments. I hope that the Post Office system continues.

• Advertisement
Advertisement