Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Third Party Extension

Options
  • 23-08-2012 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭

Hi, I was always insured with Quinn and am now insured with liberty, with Quinn I had a third party extensions on my policy that from what I could tell from the policy document had very little limitations, I'm just wondering how I can find out if this was changed in anyway as I'd hate to think I'm uninsured when I borrow my mother's car the odd time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

bassey wrote: »
    Hi, I was always insured with Quinn and am now insured with liberty, with Quinn I had a third party extensions on my policy that from what I could tell from the policy document had very little limitations, I'm just wondering how I can find out if this was changed in anyway as I'd hate to think I'm uninsured when I borrow my mother's car the odd time.

Your policy can only be changed at renewal inspite of Liberty taking over Quinn, the answer will be on your certificate of insurance where it has your registration printed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Liberty Insurance: Philip

Hey Bassey,

When your policy transferred from Quinn Direct to Liberty Insurance the terms and conditions of your policy remained the same - so if you had a third party extension then, you should still have it now.
    You can confirm this by checking your certificate of insurance under the heading Vehicles or classes of vehicles, the use of which is covered'.

If you do have this extension, it allows you to drive any other private car which you do not own or have not hired or leased. The vehicle can't be owned by your employer or hired to them under a hire-purchase or lease agreement.
    This only covers private passenger vehicles and doesn't include vans, car-vans, jeep-type vehicles with no seats in the back or vans adapted to carry passengers.

You must also; hold a full European Union (EU) licence, the use of the vehicle must be covered in the Certificate of Insurance, cover must not be provided for you on that vehicle by any other insurance company, you must have the vehicle owners permission to drive the vehicle, the vehicle must be in a road worthy condition, you still have the insured vehicle and it is not damaged beyond cost effective repair.

The third party extension only applies in the Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, the UK and the Channel Islands. Hope this clears it up for you!

Cheers

Philip

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Thanks Philip that's great.

Advertisement