Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bonobo Appreciation Thread

Options
  • 23-08-2012 9:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

Not sure how this will go down... :)

I love reading about and watching videos of these little fellas. I remember the first time I saw a video of a female walking upright with her very distinctive facial features I nearly had a heart attack! It was amazing just how human she looked. I am also intrigued by the way their society is organised, how they solve disputes, how they use tools, etc. Anyway, not being a zoologist or anything I thought I would come here, start a thread with the hope of benefiting from your knowledge. So, perhaps share any bonobo news/facts here?

Here is a story about a bonobo using flint tools.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/blog/2012/aug/22/bonobo-kanzi-flint-tools-logs

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

I agree that they're eerily human-like creatures. I first read about them in a book about African animals but the photograph that supossedly depicted them was probably of young chimpanzees- when I saw photos of actual bonobos I was like- they look so much like Australopithecus!

Here's a (not especially new) article about how bonobos too hunt and kill other primates:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/10/081013124416.htm

And here are some pics:

1372961.jpg

3052642.jpg

lr+bonobo+24.7+044.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Every aspect of this species is facinating - one of my dream jobs would be as a researcher of primates in the Congo:cool:

Advertisement