Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of training for PPL.

Options
  • 23-08-2012 7:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

I have recently moved from Ireland to Australia. I intend to spend 2-3 years here. I had looked into training for a private pilots licence a few years ago but didn't ever go ahead with it in the end. I have a bit more time on my hands now over here and am thinking of training for the PPL now. I have enquired here with a few training companies and one is very close to me so it would suit me very well. The cost is $210 (€175) per hour. The guy I've been speaking to told me that it takes aprox 50 hours flying to get the licence. So I'd be looking at around $10500 (€8800) to do. There are a few extras such as text books and that kind of thing to add to that figure. I have been told that this licence is valid worldwide. I would however need to do a short exam back home just to prove I have passed all the tests here.

Has anyone any advice on this matter. How does that price compare to back in Ireland and is the licence I would get here good in Ireland as I have been told?

Any info would Ben greatly appreciated. The training would be in a Grob 115.

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

1. Get your medical before doing anything else.
    2. Avoid paying anything in advance.
    3. Ask for opinions about the specific flying school.
    4. Confirm that the licence will be valid in Australia before committing (check with the Australian equivalent of EASA/JAA/IAA).

Advertisement