Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hard disk space

Options
  • 22-08-2012 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi.

I recently re-installed Windows 7 64bit on my hard drive. It's a 500 gb hard drive, which I understand shows as a 465 gb drive (no issue with this.)

When I had Vista previously installed and Windows 7 following that, I think the operating system used to take up 30 gb at the most if not less, leaving 435 gb for other applications / storage etc.

But now that I've done a clean install of Windows 7, I was expecting the my free 435 gb approx, but I was shocked to see the used space showing at 95 gb !!! with 370 gb free.

I deleted the windows.old folder which was huge, but the 370 gb free is what's left after I deleted that folder. I've installed virtually nothing else except firefox and my bullguard internet security, but they are only using a few MB.

Anyone know how Windows 7 is using 95 gb. Surely I've gone wrong somewhere. Please help ;-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Right click on the recycle bin icon, and click on "Properties".
    This is usually set to an excessive figure like 10% of the drive space.

Maybe reduce it to 2Gb (2048mb).

Also download CCleaner, it cleans up a lot of temporary files and shite you don't need.

Recently I also gained some space back using the Windows 7 disk cleaning tool, mentioned here Link.

Download windirstat, it'll tell you what's taking up space and where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Nadaly wrote: »
    Surely I've gone wrong somewhere. Please help ;-)

Very wrong indeed. You did not do a clean Windows 7 installation (the Windows.old folder is the giveaway). :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Nadaly

Thanks all.

I got it sorted.

I actually did do a clean install, but it was a clean install using the Windows 7 upgrade disk (that's why the windows.old folder was there .... but I had still opted for the "clean install" when asked at the start of the install.)

What sorted it, was installing service pack 1. Once the service pack was installed, free space showed as 430 gb. It still doesn't explain why I had the issue in the first place, but happy days .. it's fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

A proper "clean" install would involve a reformat of your hard drive

• Advertisement
Advertisement