Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Studies hons vs Accounting and Finance

• 22-08-2012 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Could anyone give me any info on these two courses i.e which one has higher drop out rate, subject difficulty and the amount of work? What kind of jobs can u get after the Business Studies one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

snapslam wrote: »
    Could anyone give me any info on these two courses i.e which one has higher drop out rate, subject difficulty and the amount of work? What kind of jobs can u get after the Business Studies one?

I haven't done both courses so I can't comment!

However, I did do the accounting and finance course in DKIT.

Realistically both courses are full of accounting and business subjects and you'll get much the same exemptions from each (if you go on to be an accountant). You'll still have to do 5-6 pretty difficult exams and 3 years work experience before you can qualify as an accountant.

DKIT have more than their fair share of waffley subjects taught by lecturers throwing up hundreds of disorganised powerpoint slides that you'll forget immediately after your exams.

As for jobs, a degree doesn't guarantee you a job. You get out what you put in, and the people who get the jobs will be people who apply for graduate positions, get the highest marks, and have some work experience (the more relevant the better).

You would nearly be better looking for courses that involve a placement abroad even if they're 4 year courses, just from a personal development point of view.

Advertisement