Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC GSM unit responds to 'strangers'

Options
  • 22-08-2012 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭

I recently added a GSM unit to my HKC SecureWave system. There isn't a great deal of documentation to accompany it but fitting it was simple and it all worked nicely straight off. However I was a bit surprised that it allows an incoming SMS from any number to control the alarm - provided you include the correct code - but even if you send an incorrect code it sends back a rather friendly response text.

A few things about that bother me:
    • it potentially assists a would-be attacker
    • it also wastes credit responding to a would-be attacker
    • if the code and phone number gets into the wrong hands, an attacker can control the alarm from any phone
    I'd prefer if I had the ability to control which numbers it accepts SMS messages from, and to ignore invalid messages on the basis that they could be attackers. Maybe this is already possible but I don't see it in the documentation.

Would anyone have any more information about this? Feel free to PM me if you feel it shouldn't be discussed in the open forum.

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Should be a caller ID function in there somewhere, turn it on

Advertisement