Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

media player and a hard drive

Options
  • 22-08-2012 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am in the process of looking for a reasonably priced media player , it does not have to contain internal memory (but some would be nice ) as i am also in the process of looking for a hard drive if you could help with that to it needs to be quite big , i currently have a 350gb and a 1tb but both are nearly reaching their limit with personal files and music . I would prefer a portable one but not necessarily needed as both 1tb and 350gb are so they would more than likely used when plugging into media player . If there is a deal on buying more than one 1 tb at the same price of a 2tb i would go for that option also looking for a USB flash Drive 16GB

For the media player I would possibly get more than one perhaps four , for different people in the house , wireless function is not necessary but if it came with one i would not mind . A good and easy to understand remote would be a bonus . It would need to be able to support all file formats without difficulty HDMI would be preferred , also it would need to be able to take hard drives that have been formatted ( would get one for my brother too , as currently he uses his xbox with a small USB Flash Drive 1gb )

The date on them is legal copys of dvds ( the digital downloads , purchases digital copies

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

I can only recommend the Western Digital TV Live box, should be less than a 100 yoyos.

It'll play pretty much any media format under the sun @ 1080p (incl. DVD ISO images)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭bookmad

Torqay wrote: »
    I can only recommend the Western Digital TV Live box, should be less than a 100 yoyos.

It'll play pretty much any media format under the sun @ 1080p (incl. DVD ISO images)

but i want more than one

bookmad wrote: »
    but i want more than one

Well, get four then... ;)

And yes, WD TV Live can read NTFS formatted hard disk drives.

Well, get four then... ;)

And yes, WD TV Live can read NTFS formatted hard disk drives.

4 * 100 not that much lol and any recommended hard drives

4 * 100 not that much

WD TV Live for 91 yoyos at Dabs.
    and any recommended hard drives

How many you need? Size? USB 2.0 or 3.0? Any preferred brand?

2 TB drives selling from little over 100 Euro at the moment.

• Advertisement

WD TV Live for 91 yoyos at Dabs.

How many you need? Size? USB 2.0 or 3.0? Any preferred brand?

2 TB drives selling from little over 100 Euro at the moment.

Well I do not mind on the USB 2.0 3.0 is there much of a difference , no preferred brand but reasonably priced would be good , i think 2 TB would be good but looking for a smaller one for my younger brother who is just starting secondary school

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

How about http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056645105

I'm tempted myself to get one. Or maybe the Raspberry Pi which you can install XBMC on and control with an app on your android/ios phone

Ballyv24 wrote: »

I'm tempted myself to get one. Or maybe the Raspberry Pi which you can install XBMC on and control with an app on your android/ios phone

but its 4 gb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Hi all,

I am in the process of looking for a reasonably priced media player , it does not have to contain internal memory (but some would be nice ) as i am also in the process of looking for a hard drive if you could help with that to it needs to be quite big , i currently have a 350gb and a 1tb but both are nearly reaching their limit with personal files and music . I would prefer a portable one but not necessarily needed as both 1tb and 350gb are so they would more than likely used when plugging into media player . If there is a deal on buying more than one 1 tb at the same price of a 2tb i would go for that option also looking for a USB flash Drive 16GB

For the media player I would possibly get more than one perhaps four , for different people in the house , wireless function is not necessary but if it came with one i would not mind . A good and easy to understand remote would be a bonus . It would need to be able to support all file formats without difficulty HDMI would be preferred , also it would need to be able to take hard drives that have been formatted ( would get one for my brother too , as currently he uses his xbox with a small USB Flash Drive 1gb )

The date on them is legal copys of dvds ( the digital downloads , purchases digital copies

Try the Mede8er a little pricey but worth the money excellent Media Player.

http://www.mede8er.eu/en/index.php?d=500x2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Big Lar

+1 on the wdtvlive, you could but one external 2tb drive and plug it into the USB port of the wdt, it will then become a network drive and you can share it on your network, there is also and Android app that you can use as a remote, probably one for the iPhone also.

• Advertisement

I'm tempted myself to get one.

Be advised, they're shipping from the PRC. Meaning, you'll be liable for import duty and VAT.
    Or maybe the Raspberry Pi which you can install XBMC on and control with an app on your android/ios phone

I have no problem recommending the RPi or any other product like it, but they do require a good bit of DIY and knowledge, they don't work as a media player out of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

but its 4 gb

I'd imagine that you could connect an external HD to it (2 USB ports). I have not seriously considered getting one yet because I have a WD media player connecting my TV to a HD.

I am just suggesting the mini PC as an option, but I have not compared it to the alternatives, so I have no idea how well it compares. It has the Google Play store too so that is surely a plus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akp2hYE1dZ0

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I have no problem recommending the RPi or any other product like it, but they do require a good bit of DIY and knowledge, they don't work as a media player out of the box.
    the Raspberry PI isn't exactly plug and play, but it's probably within most people's reach to get XBMC up and running on it in less than an hour following online instructions (10-15 minutes once you know what you're doing with them).

the downside is that there is no internal storage and by the time you've bought a case, PSU, SD card, remote control and wifi dongle for it (plus delivery), you're probably looking at a minimum of 50 quid, plus with demand still very high for them it's still going to be at least 3 weeks for delivery.

i upgraded my brother in law from an original xbox with xbmc to an apple tv at christmas, but if it wasn't for that i'd be very tempted to give him an RPi instead.

personally, unless you're already used to a particular type of media player (such as xbmc or the wdtv players), your best bet would be a no frills device like one of the sumvision cyclone's that will play just about any file you can throw at them. they are also very simple plug and play devices that anyone can use.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sumvision+cyclone&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Asumvision+cyclone

vibe666 wrote: »
    the Raspberry PI isn't exactly plug and play, but it's probably within most people's reach to get XBMC up and running on it in less than an hour following online instructions (10-15 minutes once you know what you're doing with them).

the downside is that there is no internal storage and by the time you've bought a case, PSU, SD card, remote control and wifi dongle for it (plus delivery), you're probably looking at a minimum of 50 quid, plus with demand still very high for them it's still going to be at least 3 weeks for delivery.

i upgraded my brother in law from an original xbox with xbmc to an apple tv at christmas, but if it wasn't for that i'd be very tempted to give him an RPi instead.

personally, unless you're already used to a particular type of media player (such as xbmc or the wdtv players), your best bet would be a no frills device like one of the sumvision cyclone's that will play just about any file you can throw at them. they are also very simple plug and play devices that anyone can use.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sumvision+cyclone&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Asumvision+cyclone
    thanks thats what i was looking at , but i have a fare understanding of technology so i might get a wd tv live plus one or two of these , then small hard drives but i see amazon has a 32gb flash drive that will do for my brother starting in secondary school

Advertisement