Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!!! Windows XP download.

Options
  • 22-08-2012 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have an old Dell comp. that my daughter wants to use but it is running very slow (did I say VERY SLOW).I was hoping to re-install windows XP but I cannot find the XP disc. The product key is on the computer case, What I want to know can I legally download windows XP (and if so, where) and install it using my product key?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The product key and Genuine Windows sticker are your licence, which grants you permission to reinstall. There aren't any legitimate download services for Windows XP, unfortunately, so you'll need to borrow a disc from someone who's got a copy of the right version. You could try contacting Dell for one, but last time I read of anyone trying that there was something like a €30 charge involved so ask around your buddies first...

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ShaunC

thanks for that info. I assume there's no problem matching the product key with the disc?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's likely your Dell has a recovery partition which will allow you to reset it back to the state it was in when it left the factory. If you press Ctrl-F11 immediately after powering on just as the BIOS screen appears it will bring you into a utility that will allow you to perform the restore. Of course you'll have a fun filled few hours of reinstalling all the service packs and updates after that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If the Dell falls under a certain spec, reinstalling XP will help, but I've had experiences where I've reformatted the machine only for it to still be barely usable once you install a good web browser and security software.

Hi Alun, Im only getting two options F2 and F12. any other options???

• Advertisement

ShaunC wrote: »
    Hi Alun, Im only getting two options F2 and F12. any other options???
    I'm not 100% sure but I don't think it actually displays Ctrl-F11 as an option, just F2 for setup and F12 for the boot menu. Just hit Ctrl-F11 anyway as it boots up and see what happens. If you're not sure when to press it, you can just keep hitting it repeatedly as soon as you press the power button, it won't matter.

It can happen that the recovery partition has been deleted at some time in the past somehow, in which case it won't work.

You can check if that's the case by cranking up XP and going into disk management (start menu > run > diskmgmt.msc) and seeing if there's a separate, small FAT partition on the hard drive as well as the larger main one. They're usually labelled RECOVERY if I recall correctly.

you are on the ball, thanks. only prob. now its telling me file missing or corrupt in win\sys32\config\system.
    looks like I will have to find a disc somewhere.:(

Sounds like the recovery partition got corrupted somehow :( I often see DELL's where the recovery partition is mounted as drive D: under the operating system and therefore prone to such things.

I have an ISO image of an original DELL XP Home CD with SP2 from a long defunct DELL PC if that helps? If you can burn an ISO yourself I can upload the ISO somewhere or else I can send you a CD if you like.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Fysh wrote: »
    You could try contacting Dell for one, but last time I read of anyone trying that there was something like a €30 charge involved so ask around your buddies first...
    IF the pc was very high spec for an XP machine then Windows 8 would be a tenner more.

If only recently very slow then check for malware
    and use the dell diagnostics or SMART utilities to check the hard drive

- reinstalling windows won't fix either

if you can get into windows and you suspect that some files are corrupt then try running SFC /SCANNOW as a first step, it's very gentle and shouldn't affect any settings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Since the machine is old and slow anyway, have you considered using something like Linux Mint? Try out a Live CD version of it if you want to see what it's like to use and how compatible it is with your hardware.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the help folks, I got a loan of win. XP reinstallation cd. Installing at the moment, I will let ye know how I get on. Could be a late night. :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Since the machine is old and slow anyway, have you considered using something like Linux Mint? Try out a Live CD version of it if you want to see what it's like to use and how compatible it is with your hardware.
    Please no off topic advocacy :)

The OP has a license for XP that can't be seperated from the motherboard.
    Linux Mint may contain some software whose licensing isn't clear.

You can still use linux in the meantime and the upgrade to 8 will still take: Microsoft's auth servers will know your motherboard is registered with windows XP genuine, so you can still upgrade in a few months time, unless you find you become a penguin jockey

Overheal wrote: »
    You can still use linux in the meantime and the upgrade to 8 will still take: Microsoft's auth servers will know your motherboard is registered with windows XP genuine, so you can still upgrade in a few months time, unless you find you become a penguin jockey
    I was just mentioning that DELL are charging nearly as much for a replacement CD as M$ were for an OS upgrade ;)

Don't the auth servers reset after 120 days - or was that just in the past - or was that just an urban myth ?

IDK honestly, but operationally that sounds intelligent given the number of licenses they must have to periodically authorize, it would be unmanageable to have indefinite records.

Thanks for all the help guys. I finally got finished at 3pm thur. the biggest problem was the service packs downloads. I tried installing SP3, skipping 1and 2. Got half way and then was told 3 cannot be installed without a previous pack. Started again, SP1 install failed twice, so I tried SP2, it installed fine. Then I got SP3 done. Then reinstalled all M$ works, home office etc. (all legally mine) the daughter is delighted btw. "Now I never have to leave my room":o

now is the ideal time to back it up :)

Sounds like a plan. :D

Don't the auth servers reset after 120 days - or was that just in the past - or was that just an urban myth ?

Yes, this is still the case. I've activated retail licences which I know were in use previously and they activated fine without me needing to call.

Advertisement