Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mothers house raided for drug's

Options
  • 22-08-2012 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi all.

Just want to share a story and see do we need to do anything to make sure it dos'nt happen again.......

Last night my mother went off to bingo like she does every tuesday night, my brother his partner and 4 year old daughter live there and he was quietly sitting watching tv around 11pm. He had the poarch door closed over but the hall door open when this scruffy looking fella just let himself in and stood there looking at him. He said it was about 30 sec's before he relised there was a junky ( so he thought) standing in the house.

As he jumped up to get th guy out and he pulled out a wallet and flashed a garda badge, as he did 6 other gards ran into the house. 3 ran upstairs and 3 ran to the kitchen. My sis-inlaw screamed because the 4 year old was in bed and she had'nt a clue what was happening.

Another garda flashed a warrent at my bro, he said she would not let him handle the warrent and there was only an address on it. The sis-inlaw ran up to get the child and they stopped her asking her where the drugs was before they would let her get the child. She told them there was no drugs and they laughed at her....

She got the child and was told to sit in the living room. Also they would not let the child use the toilet......

They took my brother into the kitchen and told him they have been watching him and they KNOW there is cocain in the house and have found evidence.... So my brother asked them to show him.... They brought in 3 tesco plastic shopping bags that was in the attic about 2 years that had ornaments in them and told the bro that they were used to hold drugs... My bro then told them to arrest him now because he shops in tescos and has plastic bags all over the house....

After searching the house and finding nothing because there was nothing to find my bro asked them where they got the info, at this point they said they were given information and had also been watching him selling it from the house..... LMAO lies because there is no such thing.

Heres the clincher..... My mothers neighbor in a herion dealer and has 100's of customers coming to the door every day selling it... He was caught 3 times selling to an undercover dective and got 250 hours community service but still sells drugs.... While the gards were searching the house people on the street kept telling them they had the wrong house because everyone knows my family and knows who the dealer is.......

But heres the question, Does my bro or mother need to do anything to stop this happening again. Does my mothers house now have a target painted by the drug squad??...

Any info would help greatly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Speak to a solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Your brother and mother need to go into the station and ask to see the seargent and explain everything without going off on one I understand a huge sock the whole situation must have been but if they did mistakenly mix your mums house for the drug dealers next door you should be and all neighbours why are you letting someone like that live next door.

Take photo's and put in cctv on the house and keep complaining and if you all do complain already keep it up and send letters to the minister and top ranking gaurds.

Best of luck ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Let your brother deal with it himself. If you are wrong and he really is dealing then you will just be making an eejit of yourself. If you are right and he isn't dealing then it's unlikely the house will be searched again.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭oldat31

MagicSean wrote: »
    Let your brother deal with it himself. If you are wrong and he really is dealing then you will just be making an eejit of yourself. If you are right and he isn't dealing then it's unlikely the house will be searched again.

I know for a fact that he is not dealing and has never had any dealings...... My issue is how they can raid a house on a whim.... They said they have been watching him. Thats bull, they said they knew there was drugs, more bull... They said they were told there was drugs, that I believe. It just happens that another house was raided across the road from my mothers yeasterday at 6 in the eve and they found a bail of cocain and arrested the guy.

So im thinking the guy that was arrested has gave information to the gards about my mothers neighbor but the gards got the wrong address.... So that leads me to believe that they got a search warrent on the strenght of a convicted drug dealers say so.....

How is that even legal?.....

Your brother and mother need to go into the station and ask to see the seargent and explain everything without going off on one I understand a huge sock the whole situation must have been but if they did mistakenly mix your mums house for the drug dealers next door you should be and all neighbours why are you letting someone like that live next door.

Take photo's and put in cctv on the house and keep complaining and if you all do complain already keep it up and send letters to the minister and top ranking gaurds.

Best of luck ...

I wish it was that easy, I am assuming the neighbor in a snitch because he is able to walk the streets after selling heroin to an undercover detective and not even spend a night in a cell..... There has been complaints made and it falls on deff ears.... Then theres the issue of fear, these people are not afraid to hurt people.

My mother is a 56 year old widow that also buried a son that died in prison, she just wants to be left alone so she walks around with her eyes closed for fear of these scum attacking her house....

People that snitch to the gards are left alone, how else do these scum bags walk around with 80 charge sheets while while I'm in court for no telly licence........

• Advertisement

Dont be stressing over if it is legal or not of course it is you kn ow now the cops do get it wrong sometimes and anyone could have said your brother was doing it or maybe they just said that when they noticed it may be the wrong house.

Are you not happy they are actually doing their job and catching the drug dealers you have mentioned one next door and one directly across the road.

I would be even more upset if it was seen that they done nothing about these and the legal system in this country needs to change.

Is there neighbourhood watch system in place or some sort of community based system they should be pushing these drug dealers out if not for themselves but for the next generation and the small children that will probably be taken in and become involved in the horrible road of crime and drugs

oldat31 wrote: »
    I wish it was that easy, I am assuming the neighbor in a snitch because he is able to walk the streets after selling heroin to an undercover detective and not even spend a night in a cell..... There has been complaints made and it falls on deff ears.... Then theres the issue of fear, these people are not afraid to hurt people.

My mother is a 56 year old widow that also buried a son that died in prison, she just wants to be left alone so she walks around with her eyes closed for fear of these scum attacking her house....

People that snitch to the gards are left alone, how else do these scum bags walk around with 80 charge sheets while while I'm in court for no telly licence........

The best you usually here is that the person had a hard life and doesnt know right from wrong and they were only minding or transporting the drugs as they are in fear of their life cop on people.

If you are dealing thats it thats what you are doing nothing else should be said.

The best you usually here is that the person had a hard life and doesnt know right from wrong and they were only minding or transporting the drugs as they are in fear of their life cop on people.

If you are dealing thats it thats what you are doing nothing else should be said.

I agree... Locked up straight away, no fuss......

Also I agree that the garda are only doing a job and thats why none of us have made complaints about how they treated the people in the house... innocent till proven guilty seems to be something the garda has forgot and treat everyone like they are something that was scraped off their shoe. They never once said sorry we got the wrong info, they never once spoke nice to anyone. Everyone was selling cocain and they knew it because they have been " watching the house ".

I have the utmost respect for garda and the job they do, sure I was going to become one. I have no problem with the house getting raided because its a waist of their time and tax payers money.....

What I do have a problem with is, will my mothers house now become a target for the drug squad, is there now a file in the station about my mothers house that brands them dealers....... BTW its a council house and all this goes on record in the council.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

They have to show you the warrant and allow you read it. They can only check the bedroom of the person named in the warrant if there is more than 1 person living there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

The protection of their 'dwelling' is a constitutional one. Rest assured they don't raid on a whim. Get ye (them) down to the station and have a word. If you're not happy with the outcome contact your local FLAC centre fro advice.

• Advertisement

They have to show you the warrant and allow you read it. They can only check the bedroom of the person named in the warrant if there is more than 1 person living there.

There was no name on the warrent, just an address.

The protection of their 'dwelling' is a constitutional one. Rest assured they don't raid on a whim. Get ye (them) down to the station and have a word. If you're not happy with the outcome contact your local FLAC centre fro advice.

So if they dont raid on a whim they have some sort of evidence that says there was cocain in my mothers house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Sounds like a difficult situation to be in so my sympathies to the OP. I have heard of this kind of thing happening before, reality is though as it's searches for drugs the Gardai don't want to give any warning that might result in the destruction of the offending substances so they tend to just turn up/burst in. If all is as the OP says though they should have been more careful about their information, perhaps the Garda Ombudsman could be informed of the circumstances?

Think you're a little mixed up there.

oldat31 wrote: »
    So if they dont raid on a whim they have some sort of evidence that says there was cocain in my mothers house?

Evidence isn't always correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Some waste of taxpayers money, That's the second person on here in recent weeks who had their house raided and nothing was found.

My mothers neighbor in a herion dealer and has 100's of customers coming to the door every day selling it... He was caught 3 times selling to an undercover dective and got 250 hours community service but still sells drugs.... While the gards were searching the house people on the street kept telling them they had the wrong house because everyone knows my family and knows who the dealer is.......

Its a clincher alright, Have you wondered why he didn't let you handle the warrant ?? Didn't want you see it ?? ;)

Tesco bags Ha Ha
    The joke is on us though as we are the people who must deal with this type of ineptitude and incompetence,

The Heroin dealers across the country are only laughing at the Guards as I said before we need the Army involved in stopping Heroin importation.

Just talking to the ma and she wants to let things settle. Shes not worried because she knows it was a case of wrong information. So we wont be making a trip to the station....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Everybody makes mistakes, I don't expect the Guards not to either but I just think if they are going to raid a house and a person or families privacy, They should make sure they know what they are doing. They should have evidence or intelligence regarding the people who live there.
    Ireland is a small place its not too hard to figure out what's what in any particular community, Like you said about the neighbours telling the Guards having the wrong house, I bet any Guard who spends time dealing with incidents on that street would have known it was the wrong house too.

Regarding my comment about Heroin, I will say though I'v noticed a big decrease in Junkies around Cork in the last few weeks which is a good thing, They must have raided a few correct house and long may that continue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Evidence isn't always correct.

The "evidence" is generally a tip off. Or more than a tip off. An associate or business rival gives detailed information.

Crime is a difficult business. So many of your associates are flakes or crooks.

krd wrote: »
    The "evidence" is generally a tip off. Or more than a tip off. An associate or business rival gives detailed information.

Crime is a difficult business. So many of your associates are flakes or crooks.

I'm sure the rather double edged meaning of that was intention KRD :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,490 ✭✭✭✭kippy

charlemont wrote: »
    Everybody makes mistakes, I don't expect the Guards not to either but I just think if they are going to raid a house and a person or families privacy, They should make sure they know what they are doing. They should have evidence or intelligence regarding the people who live there.
    Ireland is a small place its not too hard to figure out what's what in any particular community, Like you said about the neighbours telling the Guards having the wrong house, I bet any Guard who spends time dealing with incidents on that street would have known it was the wrong house too.

Regarding my comment about Heroin, I will say though I'v noticed a big decrease in Junkies around Cork in the last few weeks which is a good thing, They must have raided a few correct house and long may that continue.
    No doubt a harrowing experience for all involved but one point to make.
    We only know one side of the story (I am not inferring anything about the OP or their family just stating a fact).
    They Gardai may have had intelligence or they may have made a mistake. Either way it is worth a visit to the station to clarify and if you get no joy there perhaps you need to get further legal advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If that happened to me I would go to the Ombudsman. I support the Garda 100% in the fight against criminals and drug dealers but if they got information and didn't watch the house to see evidence of drug dealing to back up the information before raiding it then I would complain. It's lazy policing.

If that happened to me I would go to the Ombudsman. I support the Garda 100% in the fight against criminals and drug dealers but if they got information and didn't watch the house to see evidence of drug dealing to back up the information before raiding it then I would complain. It's lazy policing.

It wouldnt really be a case for the ombudsman though, its the judge that signed the warrant that has to ensure the evidence is substantial enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

MagicSean wrote: »
    It wouldnt really be a case for the ombudsman though, its the judge that signed the warrant that has to ensure the evidence is substantial enough.

But surely the judge just goes on the Garda's information/story and issues a warrant? It's the Garda information that should convince the judge to grant the warrant surely.
    If someone told me that there was a drug dealer after moving in beside me then I would watch to see the comings and goings before even reporting it to the Garda. Comings and goings of strangers etc.Surely you can't act on any old bit of a story and have to have a certain amount of proof?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭rubadubduba

I see they are still playing with the bogie warrants, thats why they wont let you read it . they must have something to hide.
    i would go to the garda and find out who issued the warrant because somebody was'nt doing their job right and was just acting on hearsay they should have been a100 percent before they made their move and they were'nt.they got it wrong again.

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/SP12000202

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭McCrack

OP to get this resolved your mother needs to contact a solicitor who can make the appropriate enquiries on her behalf to establish the bona fides or otherwise of the warrant and the correctness of the Garda action.

Trips to the station to make complaints, letters or words with the police will do nothing. Similarly the Ombudsman at this stage cannot do anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

If someone told me that there was a drug dealer after moving in beside me then I would watch to see the comings and goings before even reporting it to the Garda. Comings and goings of strangers etc.

Dealing out of your house is very old school. Comings and goings of strangers generally arouses suspicion. With the advent and ubiquity of mobile phones, drugs these days are delivered more like pizza.
    Surely you can't act on any old bit of a story and have to have a certain amount of proof?

I believe most times the information is correct.

something for the legal team.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/50000-damages-for-woman-after-gardai-raid-the-wrong-house-3161013.html

A WOMAN whose home was raided by mistake by gardai was today awarded €50,000 damages by a High Court judge.

Paula Hamlett, Mr Justice Sean Ryan said, suffered a frightening, embarrassing and humiliating experience when gardai raided and searched her home in the mistaken belief they were at another address.

something for the legal team.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/50000-damages-for-woman-after-gardai-raid-the-wrong-house-3161013.html

A WOMAN whose home was raided by mistake by gardai was today awarded €50,000 damages by a High Court judge.

Paula Hamlett, Mr Justice Sean Ryan said, suffered a frightening, embarrassing and humiliating experience when gardai raided and searched her home in the mistaken belief they were at another address.

Thats an error rather than a legitimate search that didn't turn anything up.

Do the Gardai knock here - I would have thought it'd be a battering ram.

• Advertisement

Thats an error rather than a legitimate search that didn't turn anything up.

Do the Gardai knock here - I would have thought it'd be a battering ram.

read the link .

they rang the doorbell.

Advertisement