Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going into GEM

Options
  • 22-08-2012 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Well I have decided to accept the offer for UCD this year and although I'm very excited about it I'm also a little apprehensive as I am coming straight from a non-science degree.

I was just wondering if anyone is doing or has completed GEM under similar circumstances, and if so what was your experience like and is there any advice you would give?

Will I be at a massive disadvantage without the strong scientific foundation, or will it not be much of a problem as long as I am putting in the hard work?

Also, are there any specific accommodations made for the non-science students, such as extra classes, different modules etc..?

All replies are appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭lonelywanderer

I'll be starting in UCD with you so!

I'm from a non science background too, but afaik about 30% of the course usually are. And yes there is a specific module for non science people that is 'strongly recommended'.

There's a facebook group for our year already, search Graduate Entry Medicine UCD 2016 and you should find it. About 25 people in it already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭boynesider

Good to know i'm not the only one!

Have you done any study and preparation in the sciences at all in the last year or so, or are you literally starting from scratch?

I'm just wondering because I was talking to someone who has done the course and they reckon that some of the modules are extremely intensive from a scientific point of view even for students who have a background in science. I am probably getting over anxious about it but its just that the last thing i would want is to be struggling the whole way through the course and then scraping through exams, especially after making such a big investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭lonelywanderer

Aside from what I did for the GAMSAT I haven't done anything really. I did listen to anatomy podcasts (first year anatomy for some medical school in the states) all through last year just out of interest - and it was really interesting - but I wouldn't know where to start with regard to what would actually help with GEM. You could do hours and hours and it might turn out to be almost useless. I went in to some classes in RCSI last year and talked to a lot of students about it and the ones I spoke to said they wouldn't do anything if they were back in my position. I pushed them on it and they said they'd do as much as they could on cell biology and some immunology if they were going to do anything. We're close enough to starting now so I don't know how much of a dent you could put into those, but like I said I'm sure we're not the only 2 without a science background so I'm sure whatever is thrown at us will be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Bonnieaurstomp

hi,
    I'm just about to start second year in UCD and i do have a strong science background, but i'll try and give you some advice regardless.
    The first thing i would say is, dont stress yourself about things, i know there is alot of stuff on here about failure rates in UL and things like that, but i can assure that UCD is much different. If you apply yourself in anyway shape or form you'll be grand.

I'll give you a quick run down of our modules for the first semester, starting with the easiest ones first.

Ok, so we have an optional module. If you dont have a science background you have to pick Molecules in Medicine; as far as i'm aware, they basically run through stuff you will cover in our one major module, MBLD, which i will discuss later, but at a more basic level. You have several exams for the first few weeks, but no christmas exam as far as i'm aware. It's basically a module to ease the non science folks in and it's not to severe.

for those with a sceince background, pick A social history of health care. It involves reading the notes for about 3 or 4 hours prior to the exam and getting an A. Easiest marks you'll get in med school.

After that you have patient centred practice. You have to do a few write ups for this module which is a bit of a pain in the ass. One of them is a group essay, another involves a write up for a visit to a patient and the last one involves a write up for a visit to some sort of centre (mine was a drug rehab centre in rialto). There's a first aid module that you attend and then a christmas exam that you will pass with essentially zero study.

We have a module called cell cell comunication and signalling. It's sciency, but not too severe. You have a true/false midterm and an mcq at the end. It's a bit of work but nothing to severe.

The first of our big modules is Human form, it's basically anatomy of the upper and lower limbs. One exam at christmas consisting of a tru/false exam and a short answer. The notes alone will get you an A if you know them well.

And finally we have MOLECULAR BASIS OF LIFE AND DISEASE (MBLD).
    I wouldn't leave it until the last minute to start studying for this one. This involves work and lots of it. It's 49 lectures of hell. Lots and lots of science. for the non science people, you will have to work hard, but the optional module will help. We have a midterm (short answer) that comprises the first 4 weeks of lectures, which consist of:
    1 week on proteins
    1 week of biochemistry
    2 weeks of genetics.
    After that, the remain 8 weeks consist of immunology, pharmacology, cancer and a couple of other things that esacape me right now. The final exam is a short answer exam (only stuff not covred in the midterm) and an mcq (40% of which covers the first 4 weeks, the remainder consists of the remaining 8 weeks).

bottom line is, it's a bit of work, but it's grand. Not nearly as tough as i imagine you think it is. Just try and enjoy yourself, cos it's gonna get a whole lot tougher.

Advertisement