Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Education Allowance!

Options
  • 21-08-2012 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

My daughter is going to college in September, she got let go from her job a few months back, less than the nine months required for third level BTEA.

She had been unemployed since January 2011 until January 2012, when she got let go in March 2012, her Jobseekers claim was fast tracked as she had not been off it that long, could that be a help at all?

Also, she lives with me and I am on the sick, so there is only my €188 and her €188 into our house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tsoparno

guideline wrote: »
    My daughter is going to college in September, she got let go from her job a few months back, less than the nine months required for third level BTEA.

She had been unemployed since January 2011 until January 2012, when she got let go in March 2012, her Jobseekers claim was fast tracked as she had not been off it that long, could that be a help at all?

Also, she lives with me and I am on the sick, so there is only my €188 and her €188 into our house.

I was made redundant in Feb last year and started college in Sep of that year. I received the BTEA only because I was made redundant, it was one of the only advantages of being let go, as it cancels out the nine month rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

tsoparno wrote: »
    I was made redundant in Feb last year and started college in Sep of that year. I received the BTEA only because I was made redundant, it was one of the only advantages of being let go, as it cancels out the nine month rule.

You were made redundant and got a redundancy payment (I presume) this does not apply to OPs question as her daughter was in employment for only a couple of months. Best thing OPs daughter can do is go to her local sw office and ask if she will qualify. If she does not qualify she can apply for student grant... which she should be doing even if she qualifies for btea allowance for the payment of fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭eddiehen

eastbono wrote: »
    You were made redundant and got a redundancy payment (I presume) this does not apply to OPs question as her daughter was in employment for only a couple of months. Best thing OPs daughter can do is go to her local sw office and ask if she will qualify. If she does not qualify she can apply for student grant... which she should be doing even if she qualifies for btea allowance for the payment of fees.

True, but if you read the part of the post which say "she was unemployed from Jan 2011 to Jan 2012", then the claim will link.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 guideline

Thank you everyone, so if the claim links then does that mean the couple of months employment won't be an obstacle?

Advertisement