Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating Leaving Cert subjects

Options
  • 21-08-2012 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone,
    I'm trying to get some information for my brother who just got his LC results and I didn't even know where to begin, so I thought I might come to people that have more info than the "helpful" websites out there.

The story:
    My brother just got his results and to be honest, they aren't great. He's not the kind of guy that would be able to do the full LC all over again, so I was wondering if you can repeat a certain amount of subjects, say 3, where you can repeat them (in cork) and how much is it to repeat.

Any help is greatly appreciated and links even more so!

P.S. Yes I know it would be best to repeat the LC in it's entirety, but unfortunately for us, that won't work.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Spongeykev wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I'm trying to get some information for my brother who just got his LC results and I didn't even know where to begin, so I thought I might come to people that have more info than the "helpful" websites out there.

The story:
    My brother just got his results and to be honest, they aren't great. He's not the kind of guy that would be able to do the full LC all over again, so I was wondering if you can repeat a certain amount of subjects, say 3, where you can repeat them (in cork) and how much is it to repeat.

Any help is greatly appreciated and links even more so!

P.S. Yes I know it would be best to repeat the LC in it's entirety, but unfortunately for us, that won't work.

You're not able to repeat a few subjects and count the points. You can repeat 3, but then only be marked out of 300 for the LC. You can't pick and choose points from years if you understand me? But if it is a case of entry requirements, you're able to repeat a few subjects that way. I'm nott from cork so hopefully some fellow boardsies from Munster might spot this and help out.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Looking Glass

The only subject I believe you repeat on its own here in Cork is Maths, for matriculation purposes. I'm sure there are other places which just do the languages, but I don't know of them.

Best of luck to your brother, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

It would be hard to find a place where to can do 3 subjects. One of the grind schools would probarly take a student but that comes with a hefty fee.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Spongeykev

ChemHickey wrote: »
    You're not able to repeat a few subjects and count the points. You can repeat 3, but then only be marked out of 300 for the LC. You can't pick and choose points from years if you understand me? But if it is a case of entry requirements, you're able to repeat a few subjects that way. I'm nott from cork so hopefully some fellow boardsies from Munster might spot this and help out.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking that alright, but was hoping it wasn't the case.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »

This is a great place by the way. I'm not sure if they take people with three subjects but you could ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Lumie

Best advice if repeating the full leaving cert is out, is to find a PLC course in your area to will lead your brother onto doing what he wants. PLC's are fantastic for anyone looking to go onto 3rd level but didn't
    get the points. I know so many people in college now, who on results day, honestly cried because they didn't get enough points.

Check out this VEC site, it's the schools in Cork, which do PLC's and some repeat school. Maybe give them a ring and see if they have any advice.

http://www.corkvec.ie/schools_colleges/

plc's are great option and really should be considered:)

Advertisement