Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EMT training dilemma

Options
  • 21-08-2012 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hiyiz,

This is an appeal to anyone with knowledge of Emergency Medical Technicinan/Paramedic training...

I would dearly love to begin a career as a Paramedic and, given that I've plenty of experience with medical aid having worked as a pharmacy assistant and having a child with severe developmental delay and having completed a St John's Ambulance First Aid course, I understand that to embark on such a profession I have first to become an E.M.T.

Having Googled the idea, I'm becoming bogged-down with the masses of PHECC accredited courses out there and have found that most courses are quite expensive and heavily module-based.

To throw more specifics in there, because of aforementioned kid with special needs, I'm limited in finances and time... I'm only allowed to study for 15 hours a week.

Could anybody out there please advise me of courses that may fit my needs so that I might be out there saving lives?

Thank you!

Ms. Macapooloo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Only the HSE and the Dublin Fire Brigade are accredited to train people as paramedics (DFB trains all its firefighters as paramedics too, and they rotate between fire and ambulance duties). It is not possible to train privately as a paramedic in Ireland. Jobs are advertised on http://www.publicjobs.ie/ when they become available. The training is about 10 months full time, followed by a year's internship as part of your new job with the National Ambulance Service or DFB. You do not need to have completed an EMT course beforehand.

Plenty of info available in this forum.

What are you looking to train as a paramedic for, specifically? To work with a private ambulance service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭bill buchanan

A lot of people have trained as EMTs over the last few years. Not many are actually working in the field.

The first thing to note is that you have to do a seperat exam when you finish the course. Your own teachers don't grade you. So make sure you ask about their first time pass rates, as you'll find a lot of places are below 50%.

The second thing to note is that, as mentioned above, the fire brigade and health boards usually just train their own people up to paramedic level. From then on, you can progress to advanced paramedic level.

The absolute best way to become an EMT in Ireland is to join the St John's ambulance or order of malta or red cross. Stay with them and work hard with them and they'll train you up to EMT level if you ahve the aptitude and show them that you're willing to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BrunoCert

Are you willing to travel? There is an accelerated EMT boot camp being offered by Unitek Education in Fremont California. When I spoke with the rep. they offered to find and make the hotel arrangements. I just got back a few weeks ago and wow, what a crazy 2 weeks that was but at least I got the job done and passed. The instructors were awesome and you get plenty of hands on experience. My girlfriend even came since she always wanted to visit California. Check to see if you can take the training and if where you live will recognize it.

Advertisement