Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for Limerick city centre?

Options
  • 21-08-2012 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,
    I've been looking around to see what's the best broadband I could get around O'Connell Avenue (close to Mary I), I tried UPC but they said they've no cables out around this way and won't for a while. It seems like Smart and Magnet have pretty good speeds, but are either of them reliable? I've seen some pretty bad things said about Magnet's support anyway. Also, would anyone know what would be the best choice if there's no internet set up here already?

Thanks for any help! :)

Edit: I guess I should also specify that I'd be looking to do a lot of gaming on it, so good pings would be pretty important, but I'm sharing with a few others, so I'd say 10Mb or so would be a minimum for DL speeds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

I'm in a pretty similar situation (out in Castletroy), probably going to go with Smart as they'll do (up to) 25Mb broadband for €10 cheaper than Magnet. If you're trying to judge how much you'll get from the ISP the best bet is to ask what other people in the area who are currently with them are getting. Haven't been with either company so I can't really comment on the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Outright Villainy

Hey, just saw the reply now! I ended up going with Smart in the end, they seem to be pretty good so far, averaging around 17mb/s, which is pretty good really. That's pretty much the speeds they said I'd get when I asked them, so if anyone's checking them out I'd say definitely ask, for me at least they were pretty honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭mark1974

Hi, did you need a landline to get smart broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Ended up going with Magnet myself, heard from a mate in college that Smart isn't particularly reliable out here (drops about once an hour), which as an MMO player is not something I want to deal with.
    mark1974 wrote: »
    Hi, did you need a landline to get smart broadband?

The wiring needs to be there but you don't need to have an active line IIRC.

Advertisement