Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA and deferred year at college

Options
  • 21-08-2012 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I am seeking for information about BTEA.
    I am starting my 2nd year at university this september and I am receiving my BTEA.
    My question is: what happens if one wishes to deferr one year(for specific reasons, i.e. you had a baby in the summer and you know you won't be able to attend a year in those conditions).
    Are you allowed to switch and go onto another payment such as F.I.S or JSB for the time you are taking off from college and then receive BTEA for the following year, when you go back to college?

Here is the information that I've found so far:
    "BTEA participants who have to repeat a year of their course will continue to be paid the allowance for the repeat year. This is provided that the BTEA participant is registered and attending as a FULL-TIME student for the repeat year. Repeat students who register as external students, exam only students or part-time students for their repeat year are not eligible for the allowance. A person will only be allowed to repeat one academic year of their course of study on the basis of exam failure and/or exceptional circumstances,evidence of such to be provided. eg due to illness, pregnancy, force majeure reasons."

So my understanding is that you are allowed to fail one year. But my case would be different... I would stay home for one year (no enrollment and no failing exams) and I would accept that I can't receive BTEA for the year I am off, but I would need to be sure that I will be able to receive my BTEA once I start college, one year later.

I would appreaciate advice from people who had similar experiences...
    Thanks!

Advertisement