Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Network Management

Options
  • 21-08-2012 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Has anyone taken computer network management at AIT? Did you enjoy it, how much work is involved?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭minion35

I would recommend this course to you having just completed it with a 1.1, I have been very satisfied throughout and it is very interesting. Also as I am doing my masters in AIT their is always ground to move further.

During my time in the course their were some course changes that I can say were honestly for the better. As I did the course when it was in it's second year, AIT listened closely to students as well as industry to add new modules that would produce the skills that they require.
    Some thing that were added while I was undertaking the course generally started in third year. These were modules such as.

* Networking modules were upgraded to use newer protocols etc.
    * Scripting was added as it is an industry standard. Starting with Python scripting for cross platform use and the teaching BASH, a necessary tool for any UNIX/Linux/Network admin.
    * A wider variety of operating system administration modules were added. Such as "Network operating systems" in the second year.

All of these changes I feel added to the scope of the course and developed further skills that are sought after by industry.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 WeirdBren

Thanks for your reply, I'm glad to hear it is an interesting course and that you are satisfied with it!

What do you think about the lack of placement in the course, do you think jobs in networking are going to be looking for experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭minion35

Placement isn't the end all of everything, seeing as I have been approached about two job interviews after finishing the course I can't see too many companies loosing sleep over it.

Nice to know!:) Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭paul9mm

Good to see that another new Computer Network Mgt. student! :)
    See you on Tuesday 11th.
    BTW, have you/anyone got a "welcome" to AIT pack yet? Was told by admissions office that due pretty much this week.
    Paul

• Advertisement

:) Not yet! Hoping it comes by the end of the week!

Brendan

Hope so, as when I talked with Ms O'Callaghan a few weeks ago (re SUSI & starting/final exam dates), was told to expect a pack and registration letter mid-August.
    BTW, have you gotten the AIT app yet, pretty good info source? Also, got from Minion (many thanks) the (provisional) first year schedule re dates, subjects and times.
    Paul

Ya it'll be soon enough! Ya got the app, will be very useful! Just found the timetable for the course today from last year, it should be pretty much the same, so it's given me a good idea of what my week will look like!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭skytop

WeirdBren wrote: »
    Ya it'll be soon enough! Ya got the app, will be very useful! Just found the timetable for the course today from last year, it should be pretty much the same, so it's given me a good idea of what my week will look like!:D

This years time tables are now available via website, 2012/2013

• Registered Users Posts: 40 forrest gump

Hey I am in computer network management going into second year. I found first year very interesting all the lectures were fairly sound and very good. Some of the subjects are cisco based which involves continuous assessment (hardware and software and networks) which is handy. Scripting also involves class work which goes to your result in the summer. The only subjects that I found tough were maths and telecoms but both lectures are sound and will help you out if you ask. Its best to go into most of the lectures as you will find it a lot easier when it comes to studying. All the best with the course.

• Advertisement

Hey forest gump
    I was in the wireless group last year, so was in your class for Maths and a few others ,

Small world

Hey how are things? Ah good old maths with the wireless crew you can’t beat it how was the summer for you? How’s your timetable looking for you this year any 8 o clock finishes for you this year?

8pm finishes? :confused:
    I thought that all classes finish, at latest, by 6pm? (Ask as getting bus to/from home and want to make sure can have some sort of "normal" schedule.)

Btw, can any one from the Computer Network Mgt. course explain the timetable specifics? ie, from looking over the timetable ( http://timetable.ait.ie/reporting/individual;student+set;id;AL_KNETW_7_1%0D%0A?t=student+set+individual&days=1-5&=&periods=3-20&=student+set+individual&weeks=2&template=student+set+individual ) and seeing double class listing but with different ids (ex: Scripting: W203 & Y203), I took this to mean that class split in two: one group takes theory, other takes labs and then swaps. Am I correct?

Still trying to find out the timetable, as seems that classes start, with Wed exception, at 10am and mainly finish at 6pm.

Thanks.
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Starting in September, can't wait.

paul9mm wrote: »
    8pm finishes? :confused:
    I thought that all classes finish, at latest, by 6pm? (Ask as getting bus to/from home and want to make sure can have some sort of "normal" schedule.)

Btw, can any one from the Computer Network Mgt. course explain the timetable specifics? ie, from looking over the timetable ( http://timetable.ait.ie/reporting/individual;student+set;id;AL_KNETW_7_1%0D%0A?t=student+set+individual&days=1-5&=&periods=3-20&=student+set+individual&weeks=2&template=student+set+individual ) and seeing double class listing but with different ids (ex: Scripting: W203 & Y203), I took this to mean that class split in two: one group takes theory, other takes labs and then swaps. Am I correct?

Still trying to find out the timetable, as seems that classes start, with Wed exception, at 10am and mainly finish at 6pm.

Thanks.
    Paul

Hey Paul,
    Don’t worry there will be no 8 o clock finishes with the course.The latest you will finish at is 6. Was just looking at your timetable there the w203 stands for the class that you will be in. The lecture will probaly find a room for you so you don’t have to move at the break. There is no theory with scripting it’s about writing programmes using python. The classes are normally 2 hours long with a break in-between the lecture is sound. By the looks of it your Monday evening class 4-6 is a lab. Also talk to lectures about moving some lectures around so you don’t finish at 6 they don’t want to be there either. It worked for us last year.

Hey I am in computer network management going into second year. I found first year very interesting all the lectures were fairly sound and very good. Some of the subjects are cisco based which involves continuous assessment (hardware and software and networks) which is handy. Scripting also involves class work which goes to your result in the summer. The only subjects that I found tough were maths and telecoms but both lectures are sound and will help you out if you ask. Its best to go into most of the lectures as you will find it a lot easier when it comes to studying. All the best with the course.

Thanks for this, really helpful! Glad to know the lectures are willing to give you a hand if ya ask! Really looking forward to starting!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Bonita810

I'm also interesting in this course. Thanks for posting!

FYI, talked with admissions at AIT on Monday, the "welcome" packs are now being posted out from AIT on Wed 29th, not on Monday as originally planned.

However, I did ask specifically about the starting date and was told that it is (for first years), Tuesday, Sept.11th.
    The information/registration packs arriving later in this week will have specifics on times, classes etc.
    Paul

In case anyone is interested, interesting free online course starting in few weeks on networking:
    https://www.coursera.org/course/friendsmoneybytes

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Scan111

Anyone know anything about the computer engineering course in AIT? :)

• Advertisement

Hey how are things? Ah good old maths with the wireless crew you can’t beat it how was the summer for you? How’s your timetable looking for you this year any 8 o clock finishes for you this year?

Hey not to bad , time table looks pretty good, can't wait to get back into it
    How's things?

Yeah there good looking forward to getting back into the swing of things, also looking forward too two hours with Frank on Friday what a way to start your weekend off.

Will we need any books for the first year of Networking?

Hi Weirdbren
    According to last year's course specifics, yes ("CCNA Exploration Network Fundamentals") , but if in class tomorrow morning, can talk about it.
    Paul
    ps: in case you were wondering, I was the guy who was late to this morning's intro talk from Mr Bennett (long story..).

Advertisement