Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German podcasts

Options
  • 21-08-2012 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm trying to find a podcast for beginners German that is free and available in MP3 format.

I have found lots via Google but they're either only available on iTunes (I don't have an Ipod, just a cheap MP3 player) or there's always some kind of hidden catch when I sign up. I know I can download iTunes onto my PC and listen to it there but I specifically want it for my MP3 as I do a lot of running.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

pointer28 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm trying to find a podcast for beginners German that is free and available in MP3 format.

I have found lots via Google but they're either only available on iTunes (I don't have an Ipod, just a cheap MP3 player) or there's always some kind of hidden catch when I sign up. I know I can download iTunes onto my PC and listen to it there but I specifically want it for my MP3 as I do a lot of running.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Which Google? The German version?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

No, just the standard google.com

I figured it would be best for English speakers wishing to learn German rather than a German speaker looking for podcasts if that makes sense.

Do you know of any. Sorry for sounding a bit helpless but I'm a bit of a technophobe and lose my patience with anything more technical than downloading an MP3.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Did you try this one here? I found it via the German version of Google:

http://www.papagei.tv/de/index

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

Hi all,

Just a quick update on this in case anybody else is interested.

I had no luck in finding what I wanted for free so I signed up to www.germanpod101.com for a 3 month period and I must say I'm very happy with it so far after the first 8 lessons. I only took the basic package which includes the podcasts and the lesson notes and I find it more than adequate. I find it simple to use, easy to understand and well thought out.

I listen to the podcasts while running and then listen to them again with the lesson notes when I'm home.

The 1000 words of elementary German on www.memrise.com is a great tool for learning new words and quite addictive too.

The extr@ auf Deutsch series on youtube is helpful if extremely corny.

Slowly spoken news on www.dw.de is exactly what it say on the tin. While I still don't understand a word of it, I find it helps just to be able to pick out words here and there and get used to hearing spoken German. Find it under LEARN GERMAN / GERMAN XXL / GERMAN NEWS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

pointer28 wrote: »

The extr@ auf Deutsch series on youtube is helpful if extremely corny.

I've seen you post this so often I figured ah hell I'll watch it :pac:

8 episodes in and I'm actually cracking up and some of the stuff that happens. I watch a few episodes every night. Write down words or verbs that I didn't understand and use them on my cards. So far it's working a treat. Nice find ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭MrTsSnickers

It's actually hilarious!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Following the recommendation of this forum, I bought the audio cd of an agatha christie book. It was perfect for listening to, and I found as I advanced I could understand more and more. At the start it was more a question of picking out the words. Would recommend
    Listen to the news on dw.de now, I tried the slow one but either I understand it or I don't so I'm on the normal one now. Was listening to it there letting most of it go over my head when I suddenly realised I was listening to and understanding the last two articles on it :p

Advertisement