Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW E60 weird thrumming noise at speed

Options
  • 21-08-2012 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭

Hi

For the past few months I've noticed a strange thrumming/drumming noise from my 2008 E60 520d. I noticed it first at speeds in excess of 100 km/h or so, but now I'm getting it as low as 60 km/h.
    I suspected a wheel bearing or something but nothing else seems wrong with the car and it's as economical as ever.
    Last week, I brought it to my dealer to get the battery recall done along with a few other bits and I asked them to take a look, even just to see if the noise was in my imagination.
    They agreed that the noise was there and reckoned my rear tyres were wearing unevenly due to tracking and that this was the cause of the noise.

I brought the car to my local tyre guy this morning and we put two Continentals on the back - I have Goodyear NCTs on the front but I fancied a change. All four are non runflats.
    He found the tracking, front and rear, was a bit off but the camber was fine.
    All tracked correctly, I went back out and of course, the noise is still there. It's definitely not coming from the engine. If I declutch at speed and let the engine idle, I still get it, so it's coming from the transmission/differential/tyres side, or maybe the engine mounts.
    The mileage is around 46,000 km. The car gets plenty of long journeys but is regularly on the driveway for a week or two at a time, hence the low mileage.

Anyone have any ideas? I'd be most grateful.

Advertisement