Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Academy Stage Door?

Options
  • 21-08-2012 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hey guys!
    A similar thread was closed. Is there a stage door at The Academy? If so, where is it? Also, is there a set time for bands to do sound checks or is it the choice of the band?
    Billy Talent are playing tomorrow, my favourite band. Item 1 on my bucket list is to meet them, so I'm hoping to make it happen!
    Cheers,
    Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Velocity_Girl

Yeah there is a stage door, right around the back of the venue, pretty sure there are two lane way entrances to it and it's easy to find.

Hard to guess what time a band would arrive at, soundchecks are normally done late afternoon / early evening. If you're going to the show tomorrow night you could always wait around after it's over so you can hopefully meet them as they're leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Anorexemon

Yeah there is a stage door, right around the back of the venue, pretty sure there are two lane way entrances to it and it's easy to find.

Hard to guess what time a band would arrive at, soundchecks are normally done late afternoon / early evening. If you're going to the show tomorrow night you could always wait around after it's over so you can hopefully meet them as they're leaving.

Thanks very much! :D I'll try my best to meet them before and after the show!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

never meet your heroes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Anorexemon

smokedeels wrote: »
    never meet your heroes
    Why so? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29 AaronPunk

This is weird. I remember meeting We Are Scientists (who we're ****in' sound by the way!) when they were playing The Academy and they said there was no backstage as they had to enter through the front door. I don't know about this door in the back alley. Is it new? It wasn't there when we went to that gig (November 2010). According to the guys in The Minutes the door to the back stage is at the back when you walk into The Academy (near the entrance to The Academy 2)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

AaronPunk wrote: »
    This is weird. I remember meeting We Are Scientists (who we're ****in' sound by the way!) when they were playing The Academy and they said there was no backstage as they had to enter through the front door. I don't know about this door in the back alley. Is it new? It wasn't there when we went to that gig (November 2010).

The door was always there as far as I know. but a lot of bands just enter and leave through the front. They might not have been told about it for some reason or perhaps it was out of use for some reason - think it also serves as a fire escape though so I doubt they'd be allowed block it up.

In 2010 it certainly was there, I've been in and out of it before then.

You should watch yourself hanging around in that alleyway though OP, it's a bit dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

but a lot of bands just enter and leave through the front.
    +1, I would have said it might be 50/50. Just ask the bouncers, they have always been sound whenever we had dealings with them, I really like that venue
    You should watch yourself hanging around in that alleyway though OP, it's a bit dodgy.
    I have never seen trouble, I have seen auld ones living there popping out in dressing gowns wondering who people are waiting on.

I suppose if it was you on your own it might be dodgy, but there are usually a few fans about who would outnumber any wandering scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Stage/Back door is on North Lotts. I've met a few musicians from different bands out there before.

rubadub wrote: »
    I suppose if it was you on your own it might be dodgy, but there are usually a few fans about who would outnumber any wandering scumbags.

Yeah I suppose if there's a number of people about it'd be fine. I've used it as a shortcut a few times and witnessed some less than savoury sights, people shooting up or fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Yeah, the alley is dodgy, be careful! I met a couple of bands there when I was a teenager (2008~) but a lot of bands come out the front nowadays too, so try and tag team with a friend :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

smokedeels wrote: »
    never meet your heroes

Have to kind of agree with this, I'm a band and gig photographer and a lot of the bands I really liked turned out to be muppets. If you are there officially working with them they are a bit more friendly but I've seen some bands be complete assh@les to fans. I primarily work with Metal bands and I'd say about 90% of them are cool but you always meet the odd one who are just dicks. I just try to get on with most of them regardless because they perform better infront of the camera if you have a bit of a friendship going :)

As for the Academy now, the last few bands I shot there arrived at the front and then just left through the back, I've seen a few bands getting lost and wandering through the venue, fans not even noticing because their eyes are glued on the stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Any luck OP?

If so, what time did they arrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

I waited outside when the cult played their last time.
    They all walked in the front door seperatly. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

karaokeman wrote: »
    Any luck OP?

If so, what time did they arrive?

I'm not the OP, but I met Ben & Aaron outside the front door at around 11:20pm or so :D. A couple of people claimed to have got autographs at the back door before that though, so it's possible that they were at both doors at different times.

Might have gone out the back for a smoke?

Advertisement