Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oldest modern human remains found in Asia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

So 'out of Africa' is back in vogue now?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Galvasean wrote: »

I better not say anything and wait for Wibbs opinion on this one XD

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Adam Khor wrote: »
    I better not say anything and wait for Wibbs opinion on this one XD

I wait with bated breath so that I may ad the 'Wibbs was right' tag...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Galvasean wrote: »
    I dunno where the researchers get that from TBH. Sounds a tad like "we believe this, oh here's a fossil". I don't see how this find supports or denies either theory.

Plus maybe it;s the angle of the pic, but the cranium looks fierce low and foreheadless* for a fully modern? Certainly when compared to cro magnon's in Europe. It had brow ridges too, though they're like modern Australian and European ones(start from and are strongest nearer the nose). I also note it has shovel shaped incisors. A feature in Asian folks not found in Africans or Europeans, nor found in African or European Erectus/Neandertal. The incisor shape seems to have a very deep continuity in that part of the world. Seems a tad odd if they're recent visitors from Africa. Show me an Asian person from around this time with Afro-European incisors and I'll believe "yep that's a tourist", otherwise GTFO.

In any event the same genetics the researcher is so keen to add as a bolster to her pure Out of Africa position has already took a chunk out of the position, because of the findings that showed Asian folks as well as having Neandertal genes(different ones to Europeans) also have some newly found Denisovans genes on top of that. Out of Africa? Yea but lots of shagging the locals en route. Same thing was happening in Africa too and we'll see more evidence of that with time.

TBH I don't see how the pure replacement OoA thing got such a strong, damn near religious foothold in this area of science when pure common sense and observation of modern folks and observations of other species capable of hybridisation would strongly suggest otherwise.

*should be a word.:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement