Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Micro vKS

Options
  • 20-08-2012 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭

For anyone that didn't get in on their Beta giveaways this is a small compensation :)

First go HERE and create an account

Then go HERE and follow the instructions.

Your NIC-handle is your email Address.

AFAIK - You have this for life, but you have to renew each month, unless i've misunderstood something. (I don't think you have to pay to renew each month - i could be wrong) - It says "Test", so it's possibly a limited trial

Today we're giving you the opportunity to test the OVH network for free! You can opt for a Micro vKS that is physically located in one of our points of presence.
    cutterlight600.jpg
    How do I take part?

To test it, click "I want to participate" in the right column.
    You need a mobile number to place an order since we will send you a code via SMS that will allow you to get your Micro vKS. You will then be able to choose the POP of your choice. If you don't receive any SMS, it will mean that we have reached our daily limit of deliveries. You will need to try again later!
    Your order is validated, the Micro vKS will be delivered within a few hours and you will find it in your manager.
    Please not that depending on the test needs, it's possible that you get your vKS in a POP other than the one you requested.

4MBpu.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭long_b

Let's pretend I've signed up, am waiting for the SMS but have no idea what I can do with a vKS ... just for argument's sake

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I guess its a kind of VPS (Virtual Private Server) , dedicated cpu maybe? Seems like a pretty good deal if so.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Cheers signed up. Tried a vks before but storage transfer was abysmal but for free you can't complain I'm sure I'll find a use for it.

If your wondering what a vcpu is:
    root@vksXXXXX:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor : 0
    vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
    cpu family : 16
    model : 2
    model name : AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 6172
    stepping : 3
    cpu MHz : 2100.025
    cache size : 512 KB
    physical id : 0
    siblings : 4
    core id : 0
    cpu cores : 4
    apicid : 0
    initial apicid : 0
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 5
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc rep_good tsc_reliable nonstop_tsc unfair_spinlock pni cx16 popcnt hypervisor lahf_lm extapic abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw
    bogomips : 4200.05
    TLB size : 1024 4K pages
    clflush size : 64
    cache_alignment : 64
    address sizes : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    power management:

Theres no service level agreement on the vks servers though so vcpu could presumably be nocpu under heavy server load.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

long_b wrote: »
    Let's pretend I've signed up, am waiting for the SMS but have no idea what I can do with a vKS ... just for argument's sake

Most People wouldn't. It means a Virtual Kim Sufi..... :D

They do have limited amounts, so to try and make sure the People that would benefit most out of it, I tried to make it so that they may take advantage first. (In hindsight, i should have posted it in another forum section)

These guys have some brilliant giveaways all the time (While they are rolling out internationally) So it may be worth watching them.

Some info about it HERE (Scroll down)

http://help.ovh.ie/help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

I accidentally ordered a server in Frankfurt, but wanted one in the states. Wonder if they will let me change?

• Advertisement

Apparently they are giving out full blown dedicated servers too..
    http://www.ovh.com/ca/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Apparently they are giving out full blown dedicated servers too..
    http://www.ovh.com/ca/en/

Part of the Beta sign up for Europe. I don't think (I could be wrong, and I hope I am), you can get them over here anymore. (Maybe you can) There was a similar looking promotion over here, that is still available in U.S. Where they gave away a smaller version of a load of their "products" for life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

I accidentally ordered a server in Frankfurt, but wanted one in the states. Wonder if they will let me change?
    Order another with someone else's phone and anotherbemail

paddyp wrote: »
    Order another with someone else's phone and anotherbemail

Was hoping to not do that, will email them first to see what they can do.

Was hoping to not do that, will email them first to see what they can do.

Check the geo location of the ip first, I selected Paris the control panel says the server is in san jose and geo ip says the ip is in Montreal.

I had the same crap when I signed up with ovh last time. I paid for a uk ip; geo-ip database was 'correct' and showed uk location but google, last-fm and other had the actual server location in france. They were thoroughly unhelpful.

Just to say that this micro vks seems an order of magnitude faster than the 1GB kimsufi server I was paying for before despite the 128MB ram :cool:

Just a hint for non debian-nuts; if you want to setup a webserver on the standard install of debian squeeze the simplest way is to use tasksel.

[PHP]apt-get install tasksel
    tasksel[/PHP]

Then select Webserver using up and down arrow and space bar, select OK and click enter. You may have to run it several times script was bombing out presumably due to low memory.

• Advertisement

Yeah just noticed that. Dataserver is in Dallas, but IP Canada.

Was hoping they'd offer FreeBSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

moodrater wrote: »
    Check the geo location of the ip first, I selected Paris the control panel says the server is in san jose and geo ip says the ip is in Montreal.

I had the same crap when I signed up with ovh last time. I paid for a uk ip; geo-ip database was 'correct' and showed uk location but google, last-fm and other had the actual server location in france. They were thoroughly unhelpful.

Just to say that this micro vks seems an order of magnitude faster than the 1GB kimsufi server I was paying for before despite the 128MB ram :cool:

Just a hint for non debian-nuts; if you want to setup a webserver on the standard install of debian squeeze the simplest way is to use tasksel.

[PHP]apt-get install tasksel
    tasksel[/PHP]

Then select Webserver using up and down arrow and space bar, select OK and click enter. You may have to run it several times script was bombing out presumably due to low memory.
    Yeah just noticed that. Dataserver is in Dallas, but IP Canada.

Was hoping they'd offer FreeBSD.

Jesus H.... what a bunch of moaners ..... :pac::pac::pac::pac:

AFAIK they offer location for latency reasons .. not so you can watch iPlayer/Hulu or something :)

After having a VPS in the US with 180ms lag, having one in Amsterdam with 8ms is a whole different ballgame :)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭living

I just got one OP, thanks!

I was using this before for my tests

http://www.kimsufi.co.uk/cloud/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

I have not understood one sentence in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭doctorg

Can anyone give me in layman terms whats the use of this?

Thanks!

doctorg wrote: »
    Can anyone give me in layman terms whats the use of this?

Thanks!

If you don't know the use probably you are not going to need it :)

You can create a webserver or a proxy server for free. The specifications are a little poor so it's better for testing purposes or for small websites. Also you have to bear in mind that you cannot send emails from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Any one no how to set this up as a proxy server :confused:

living wrote: »
    If you don't know the use probably you are not going to need it :)

You can create a webserver or a proxy server for free. The specifications are a little poor so it's better for testing purposes or for small websites. Also you have to bear in mind that you cannot send emails from it.

I can host websites? If so, I need it then :P

Any one no how to set this up as a proxy server :confused:

Just google up on squid.

I tried to setup OpenVPN, but they have TUN/TAP disabled.. boo. Possibly can setup PPTP anyway.. but its not as secure, but oh well, its free.
    I can host websites? If so, I need it then :P

Yes, doctorg. You can install a webserver. I might suggest nginx or lighttpd as you don't have much RAM.

Seen Host1free are doing free VPS also: http://members.host1free.com/vps?ac=h1f_register_vps But they aren't getting as good a reviews as above.

AFAIK they offer location for latency reasons .. not so you can watch iPlayer/Hulu or something :)

I paid for a UK ip address for search engine ranking as I host .com sites for several UK companies. This was a service they offered and charged for. The problem was the 'UK' IP address they assigned was in an AS declared in France and they couldn't seem to assign me an IP from a AS declared UK even though they have plenty of them. So basically they didn't really offer localised ips at all unless you buy a provider independent block of 8,16,32 etc ips. but they were happy to take your money anyway.

Never had an issue with other geoips I paid for. Lastfm was a side benefit as our son used to listen to last fm via one.

• Advertisement

Can we host games on this ?

Eg. the new tf2 update

Can we host games on this ?

Eg. the new tf2 update

I don't see why not, if your game server can run with 128MB ram and doesn't use UDP. (They blocked UDP traffic [except for dns] to prevent p2p file leechers!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

moodrater wrote: »
    I paid for a UK ip address for search engine ranking as I host .com sites for several UK companies. This was a service they offered and charged for. The problem was the 'UK' IP address they assigned was in an AS declared in France and they couldn't seem to assign me an IP from a AS declared UK even though they have plenty of them. So basically they didn't really offer localised ips at all unless you buy a provider independent block of 8,16,32 etc ips. but they were happy to take your money anyway.

Never had an issue with other geoips I paid for. Lastfm was a side benefit as our son used to listen to last fm via one.

You paid for a box hosted in a location, the Geo lookup of the IP is not specified in the conditions.

Geo Lookup is flaky anyway, sometimes you have to contact the Vendor to have them change it (Mine was coming up as Israel even though it was the Netherlands)

Instead of using tasksel people wanting to setup an efficient server might look at lowendbox script: https://github.com/Keith2/lowendscript-ng

I've never used a vps under 512mb before its actually very usable I did an install of nginx with php-fpm with no tweaks and installed wordpress with some sample content and plugins and ran a check with loadimpact with no issues.

Storage will be the limiting factor for people Kimsufi I'm getting 1.6-1.7MB/s which is about the same as I was getting on my paid server.

You paid for a box hosted in a location

There are no kimsufi servers physically located in the uk. With regard to geo location not being guaranteed. The server was supposed to have a direct uk datafeed, when I queried the geo location and traceroute I was getting this was their answer.
    After a few checks and double checks. The main server ip is 100% UK. You can verify this via: http://network-tools.com/default.asp?prog=express&host=94.23.XXX.XX. We have also had OVH check the dedicated datafeeds to OVH UK and everything is working and the vps node is serviing uk traffic as it should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Brian De Tazzzie

Allyall wrote: »
    For anyone that didn't get in on their Beta AFAIK - You have this for life, but you have to renew each month, unless i've misunderstood something. (I don't think you have to pay to renew each month - i could be wrong) - It says "Test", so it's possibly a limited trial
    Knickers.

Mine is due to be renewed, 5 days left, but it tells me when I hit the renewal button "The operation can not be done:
    Renew is no more allowed for this service"

Fawk it. I really like it and used it a fair bit..............

Just received an email from OVH saying that it is not going to be possible to renew the service anymore.

Me too, ah well still have my year of free azure ..
    http://www.microsoft.com/web/websitespark/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

You can also get your first year free on Amazon EC2.
    Setting it up is a little fiddly, but documentation is pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Brian De Tazzzie

living wrote: »
    Just received an email from OVH saying that it is not going to be possible to renew the service anymore.
    Aye, I mailed them yesterday to find out why I couldnt renew - their reply:

"We're stopping vKS geo offer. You should have receive email informing about this. Please copy all necessary information."
    I then get another email and hour later:"Thank you for participating in this beta. Our new geolocalised offerings will be available soon and will positively surprise you."Maybe the surprise will be when I look for a server in Dallas it might actually be in Dallas and not Canada :DIn fairness I did use it a bit for testing some things, its good and it was relatevly easy to use.
    paddyp wrote: »
    Me too, ah well still have my year of free azure ..http://www.microsoft.com/web/websitespark/

Must take a look at that, thanks for the linky.
    MOH wrote: »
    You can also get your first year free on Amazon EC2.
    Setting it up is a little fiddly, but documentation is pretty good.

O, "fiddly" is it :P, I tried and tried and tried, but just gave up to be honest.

Thanks for posting the linky dude. Also thanks to the OP for the heads up.

• Advertisement

O, "fiddly" is it :P, I tried and tried and tried, but just gave up to be honest.

My experience was not positive. They lost my storage permanently in a power outage after about 7days sent me a corrupt backup. I had my own backup but some user generated content was lost. Every month there was about 5-9euro in data charges over the 'free tier' versus about 70-90c with azure.

Setting a payment limit on azure is a couple of clicks, on ec2 you have to resort to third party services or scripts.

I could get another 4 free years with other cards but 'free' isn't free if it cost time I'd rather pay $9.36 to azure.

Advertisement