Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical Card Application

Options
  • 20-08-2012 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hey guys

I've been googling for the past while for an answer but couldn't find any answers.

I am applying for a medical card online and have everything required for the application. I am single and living with 2 other males.

How does the HSE access income? Would they need the income of my two other roommates despite the fact that we are financially independent of each other or will my own income suffice?

Any answers would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

If you had a spouse/partner and dependants, the HSE would require financial details, PPS numbers etc., for them, but will not require financial details for flat mates of a single person sharing. You will need to produce documentation of your rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭dragon5678

Balagan wrote: »
    If you had a spouse/partner and dependants, the HSE would require financial details, PPS numbers etc., for them, but will not require financial details for flat mates of a single person sharing. You will need to produce documentation of your rent.

Thanks Balagan

I'm just applying for a card of my own, I do not have any dependents. My landlord's agent is going to provide me with a letter quoting the amount of rent I pay per week.

Could I also claim a medical card by being in third level full time education and being financially independent?

If so, how would I go about proving this

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Are you getting btea? If so should be grand, if you have no income, it would be very difficult

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Are you getting btea? If so should be grand, if you have no income, it would be very difficult

I have a part time job and no BETA or maintenance grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

The part-time job will certainly help towards getting the Medical Card.

Full-time students aged 16-25 who are financially dependent on their parents are normally only entitled to a medical card if their parents have one. Students who are financially independent of their parents, for example, who have income from part-time work, and who satisfy the means test may be entitled to a medical card. In this case, the Local Health Office where the student is attending college would issue the medical card. A student getting Disability Allowance will generally be entitled to a medical card. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/entitlement_to_health_services/medical_card.html

Balagan wrote: »
    The part-time job will certainly help towards getting the Medical Card.

Full-time students aged 16-25 who are financially dependent on their parents are normally only entitled to a medical card if their parents have one. Students who are financially independent of their parents, for example, who have income from part-time work, and who satisfy the means test may be entitled to a medical card. In this case, the Local Health Office where the student is attending college would issue the medical card. A student getting Disability Allowance will generally be entitled to a medical card. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/entitlement_to_health_services/medical_card.html

So instead of sending off the form to the HSE in Dublin, I should go to the LHO in Cork to apply instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

No, all medical card application forms must go to Finglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Theresia

I am also applying for a medical card. One question I do not understand. They ask for type of payment with details of income. What should I fill in here? I receive jobseekersallowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Theresia wrote: »
    I am also applying for a medical card. One question I do not understand. They ask for type of payment with details of income. What should I fill in here? I receive jobseekersallowance.

Type of Payment: Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)
    Amount of JSA Received: €

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Theresia

Thank you.

Advertisement