Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing different chilli varieties?

Options
  • 20-08-2012 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

I've recently been given 5 different types of chilli seeds: Dorset Naga, Naga Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate Habanero, Carribean Yellow Scotch Bonnet and Jalepenos. I'm just wondering if I can plant them now, and overwinter them? If so, how would be best to start them off? I planted chillis once before and germinated them beween two sheets of wet kitchen paper in a plastic container. Just looking for advice since some of these chillis I've heard won't germinate for up to 6 weeks! And there are only 7 seeds in one or two of the packs, so I'm really looking for a sure fire way to get them up ;)
    Thanks for any advice :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

I've read of people over-wintering them successfully. Just make sure they get as much light as possible over the dark months. They need heat to germinate so use good seed compost, cover the seed tray/pot with cling film and out them somewhere where they will get a temp of 20 - 25 degrees or so. Better yet use a heated propagator.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Also, no need to completely bury the seeds in the soil.
    If you look closely at them, you'll see one end of the seed is slightly pointed. Just push the seed gently into the damp soil so it's half buried with the pointy end facing downwards.
    Once it germinates, the roots will dig down into the soil themselves.
    If you can, have a fluorescent bulb shining on the seeds for 16 hours a day. That will speed the process up.
    No need to water the soil for the first few weeks either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

No experience of the super hot and trickier to germinate varieties, but a heated propagator and a fluorescent lighting set up (homemade or whatever) would make things easier and more successful for the varieties you have.

Not sure if your plants would be sufficiently developed to "overwinter" in a dormant state. I'd say you will need to keep them thinking it is something like summer for them to survive.

After reading that it's worth noting that the overwintered plants I read about were established plants that were cut back. Chillis can take a long time to germinate and are slow growers. So unless you're interested in the experiment it might be best to wait until next February and save yourself the hassle now.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Denis322

Currently have the seeds germinating in the hotpress in a plastic container between two sheets of wet kitchen roll. I'll plant them straight into pots when they germinate, but the way I see it if anything the house is likely to warmer during the winter with the heat being on most of the day, so hopefully they'll shoot up and I'll have a long season of fruit next year :D

• Advertisement

Just be careful as too much heat and too little light can make them leggy and sappy. A window sill with the best light you can give it during the day should be best. But take it away from the glass at night so it doesnt get frosted.

Looking for some help; two of my seedling have just whithered away in the space of a day. One of them was doing well, and on its second set of leaves, and the other was just after germinating and its first set were folding out. I think the first one is pretty much gone, but I think the second one can be revived :confused: It's definitely not from lack of water, could it be from over watering? I dont want the same to happen to the rest of my chillis when they get to that stage :(

Sounds like damping off, from too much watering.
    What size pots are they in? What are they planted in, compost? How much and how often are you watering them? They should only be watered from the bottom by sitting the pot in a shallow tray for a minute of two to soak up the water. And only be watered when the compost begins to looks dry or feels light in weight. Let the pot drain fully and not stand in water. Pot should not be too big or the roots can rot in too much water that the seedling is too small to 'drink' up.

That must be what's wrong with them. The pots are about 3 inches diameter with compost and a bit of vermiculite mixed in with it. I've been keeping it farely moist putting a few drops of water on it most days so I guess it must be over watering

Advertisement