Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moncrieff - Female author with shrill American accent watch.

Options
  • 20-08-2012 4:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭

She's on now.

I'm convinced its the same woman every couple of days.

Always talking about some ridiculous book that none of us will ever read.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

There's not a day goes by when there isn't at least 3 silly Americans on that show. Either promoting some book that no one will ever read, or some stupid ideas about aliens or leprecauns.
    It's a great show, but why is there such rubbish on it sometimes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

It's still a hell of a lot better than the competition...

Shrill American women v Brenda O'Donoghue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

I love Moncrieff,but sometimes I feel that it being on for three hours instead of two just means they have to find two segments of filler rather than actual interesting pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I haven't listened to him for years I have to say. Are those two women still banging on about stuff on Thursdays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

mike65 wrote: »
    I haven't listened to him for years I have to say. Are those two women still banging on about stuff on Thursdays?

Nah, they haven't been on for a couple of years now. He got rid "Kid's talk" around the same time, but the Breakfast Show inexplicably resurrected it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭serfboard

MJ23 wrote: »
    There's not a day goes by when there isn't at least 3 silly Americans on that show. Either promoting some book that no one will ever read, or some stupid ideas about aliens or leprecauns.
    It's a great show, but why is there such rubbish on it sometimes?
    It's called research by Google - search for "quirky books", and the yanks listings will always come up higher.

And the show being on when it is, it's morning time in the States.

You'd have thought Irish publishers would target this show, though. I'm sure there's plenty of weird stuff being published here ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Moncieff would be nothing without the mental American guests. Beats some Amanda Brunker-level guest talking about the week in politics/current affairs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

She's on again now.

Talking about syndromes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

What about the American bloke talking about holidays today? I happened to be bandscanning today and thought I was hearing things after reading this last night. It just sounds bloody awful. There's nothing wrong with a foreign accent here and there but Newstalk seems to be swamped with american guests.
    Michael Graham on Hook is Another example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I used to enjoy Moncrieff and I know it's a minority view, but the show just grates when I catch it now.

It kinda reminds me of the ITN News 'And finally...' section - too much fluff like skateboarding squirrels, men who think they're Jesus and myriad other wacky but all too samey items. It also doesn't help that Sean's morphed into Elmer Fudd, his questioning oft-punctuated by a series of staccato eh, em, uh, b.b..but's etc. It's mildly amusing on occasion but a little tired imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I really like the show - I even enjoy the wacky American authors who invariably say, 'That's a really good question, Sean...' - but I cannot bear listening to the introduction. He always tees off with a 'fancy that!'-type snippet which has no discernible point, and definitely no clever pay-off. I think Sean's strengths lie in his off-the-cuff remarks and ability to call BS when he sees it - but the lame intro definitely needs spicing up.
    Oh, and the "What's On" woman on Wednesdays. She needs to cultivate an interest in what's on. This isn't student radio where it's kinda cool to just read something you printed off the Internet about a doc on Channel 4 and focus on having the craic with the presenter.

I really like the show - I even enjoy the wacky American authors..........

Don't get me wrong, I love the show. Especially the Food with Paulo Tullio slot on Thursday, and Movies & Booze on Friday.

I like Moncrieff's wit too. And its infinitely better than listening to that Godawful Brenda O'Donaghue anytime.

I'm just sick of hearing the same American woman with the same shrill accent all the time. She's on the radio more often than Mary O'Rourke these days.

Notice my wee FYP there by the way. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Lapin wrote: »
    I really like the show - I even enjoy the wacky American author[COLOR="Red"]s[/COLOR]..........

Don't get me wrong, I love the show. Especially the Food with Paulo Tullio slot on Thursday, and Movies & Booze on Friday.

I like Moncrieff's wit too. And its infinitely better than listening to that Godawful Brenda O'Donaghue anytime.

I'm just sick of hearing the same American woman with the same shrill accent all the time. She's on the radio more often than Mary O'Rourke these days.

Notice my wee FYP there by the way. :)

Duly noted! ;)

She's on now talking about marsh mallows.

Shriller than ever and full of shít.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Sometimes i enjoy this show and other times not. It covers a broad range of subjects but i cant help thinking the show's subject matter depends on what authors are flogging what books in any particular week, they really rely very heavily on books , books and more books. Movies and booze is a segment i enjoy especially when its an OB as there seems to be more spontaneity. The one common theme and major criticism is Moncrieff's incessant stammering and peppering any statement or question with um's eh's aw's , it is so extremely distracting and really undermines his abilities as a presenter. Theres no doubt he is a very intelligent guy but his ability to articulate suffers on a daily basis because of the stammering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Moncreiff annoys me more than his guests.. Cant stand that smart arse / jocose / facetious tone he uses for EVERY question..

The female author who writes everything must have the day off but today he is talking to the male American author.

Before the news it was a man who eats a zillion chicken wings in 14 seconds. The phoneline broke down but they managed to get him back on.

After the news our American friend was back on telling us about intelligent dogs who can remember more than cats but less than rats. Again the phone connection went down, but they got him back.

The regular female author might be back on tomorrow to plug her book about the history of transatlantic telecommunications and its effect on the modern diet and sex drives of the 23 - 35 year old sales assistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Lapin wrote: »
    The regular female author might be back on tomorrow to plug her book about the history of transatlantic telecommunications and its effect on the modern diet and sex drives of the 23 - 35 year old sales assistant.

And it will still be more interesting than anything else on the radio at that time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭serfboard

Apparently Seán's having a bit of a nightmare yesterday and today with phone lines dropping to the States.

And given the kind of show Seán does, if he's dropping lines to the States he's fúcked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Yes I was listening , he was all over the place stammering , umming and awing even more than usual, he's an intelligent guy and a good interviewer but his delivery is atrocious. The problem with the programme I find is Im getting a tad jaded with it being 90% of the time a book review show, in the sense that most of the time he's interviewing authors about their latest book. There really needs to be alot more variety , movies and booze, and paulo tullio slots are good but the show relies not enough on actual guests, its far too reliant on those phonecalls to authors peddling books in the states.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭paulbok

+1 for thinkg all the american authors sound the same and are in fact the same man/woman.
    Moncreiff did get a bit antsy after an American author who buggered off early to go do another interview with another show (10 mins early) last week. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

heybaby wrote: »
    Yes I was listening , he was all over the place stammering , umming and awing even more than usual, he's an intelligent guy and a good interviewer but his delivery is atrocious. The problem with the programme I find is Im getting a tad jaded with it being 90% of the time a book review show, in the sense that most of the time he's interviewing authors about their latest book. There really needs to be alot more variety , movies and booze, and paulo tullio slots are good but the show relies not enough on actual guests, its far too reliant on those phonecalls to authors peddling books in the states.

Newstalk's shows have tiny budgets compared to their RTE counterparts. Guests costs money, people discussing their new books are free. Under the circumstances I think Moncrieff does brilliantly. For me the show is second only to Today with Pat Kenny and at a fraction of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

I like MonCrieff a lot..

very funny guy and very smart..

but since when did Joe O'Shea become the go to guy for American correspondance? (or any other correspondance for that matter)

"I've been in Umurika .. I was in Checargo"

Good man yourself Joe!

Advertisement